Monday, October 09, 2006

The Downside of Church in a Movie Theater


Cindy and I really love our new church, Discovery Community Church. There are many things we love about it, and certainly one of them is the fact that it meets in a Movie Theater on Sunday mornings. The idea seems far-fetched to many people, but think about it - one theater for the adult service, another for the teenagers, one for the school-age kids, one for babies, etc. And not only that, but there's a very good quality screen already mounted in each room - less equipment to buy!

However, there is one aspect of being "The Movie Theater Church" that while I love it (I love
things that make me laugh), I could see some people throwing their hands up, screaming, and running for a building with a steeple... And that is, the movies showing on the marquee in front of the building.


Over the last couple weeks, right next to our "Discovery Community Church"banner, has been "Now Showing: Jackass 2". I meant to get a picture of it, but I left my phone at home... Twice! (funny how having it beep during service ONE TIME can make you so leary of bringing it back again...)

Yesterday however, I was armed with the phone, and while Johnny Knoxville's gutterball sequel was no longer front-line material, it was replaced by something that did at least as good a job of illustrating the deep, wide chasm between the Church and the world.

And really, I think it helps maintain balance in the universe, that the building that shows "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" all week long has a much needed, deep-spiritual-cleaning every Sunday morning at 9:19 and 10:50.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!