Sunday, March 04, 2007

Back to Broadcasting!

As most of you (hopefully) know, I've had music in my veins my entire life. This culminated during the '90s, when I worked by day, programming music for businesses (Steak & Ale, Bennigan's, Rave, Williams-Sonoma and NikeTown were a few of my accounts) and then on Friday nights, I hit the airwaves of KNHC 89.5 FM in Seattle as DJ Mike Brady, producing the Friday Night PartyZone. As the century turned over, things began to wind down on the music-as-a-profession front. AEI Music (day job) merged (got bought) with (by) DMX Music (yeah, the one that does music for cable-tv systems), and my job was eliminated. In the meantime, the drive up to north Seattle for the radio station was getting longer and longer as I moved further and further south, and the station politics were getting more and more aggravating. So in late-2000, I retired from the station too. Ever since then, other than an occasional wedding reception or company party, my musical ambitions have been fulfilled by singing or playing in the music team at Church - which is great, I totally love it!! However, as someone who pretended to be on the radio from the time I was 4 or 5, and then getting there later, and then not being there, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. A lot.

Sooooooooo, long intro aside, a year ago, a good friend in Melbourne, Australia, brought the PartyZone label back to life as the Saturday Night PartyZone on his local station. A few months later he asked me if I'd like to guest on the show, which I jumped at! Now, he's gotten his SNPZ syndicated on several continents of the world, and in the process, encountered an Internet-Only station in the U.K. that was looking for an '80s show. While I love pretty much all (good) music, the '80s stand out to me as the pinnacle, the best that Pop Music has ever acheived. And I'm continually backed up on this, by people who were far too young to have lived through it like I did, but still say (unprovoked!) that they think the '80s had the best music.

Now, I'm about to start producing a show for GenerationMix! It'll be a one-hour weekly '80s show, and I am totally excited!! I don't know what my time slot will be yet, and I'm still trying to get the perfect name for the show... So if anyone has any great ideas, I'd love to hear them!! Watch this space for updates as we get closer to the first show going out... And of course, if you have any '80s requests, I'd love to indulge you... =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!