Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kidz say the darndest things!


This week the Puddle Jumpers Joined the "Presidents Physical Fitness Challenge." In order to earn the award the kids (and I) have to be active every day for six weeks. I doubt I could keep all the kids motivated for six weeks BUT I did decide to give them a good start on it. My hope is that they will continue to write down and become aware of their activities and return the form to me in order to earn the big award. So this week we have stayed active. Tuesday we walked to the bowling alley for a quick game - well not so quick a game, there were 10 of us! Yesterday we hit the local Lazer Tag and giant ball pit party place for some pizza and fun, and today we had "Relay Thursday." Relay Thursday was a total blast and in my opinion the best day of the week (probably because we didn't have to walk anywhere). We did hula hoop relays, balloon relays and of course... pie eating contest! I know, it's not really a relay but who can resist the opportunity to watch 10 kids eat whipped cream as if their lives depended on the outcome... certainly not me. And of course, it was a hit! We had rematch after rematch until we ran out of whipped cream! (unfortunately, I was too busy whipping up pies, and forgot to grab the camera!)

My favorite part of the week though was and always is the times when I get to chat with the kids. When they talk to me about whatever is on their minds. I have one little girl in particular who says the darnedest things, and she was the highlight of this week's chats. So as we were walking to Odyssey 1 yesterday (that is the lazer tag place) she was doing math. That's right, math... second grade math... she was calculating my age and determined that in two years I would be 40. I agreed with her that indeed I would. I then asked her what she thought I should do to celebrate my 40th birthday? She without hesitation said "buy your kids presents, of course". ummmm, what?? Why would I do that, I ask?

"Because kids like presents!"

Oh, I should have known. After several hours of play and pizza eating we were walking home to go swimming. The sun had come out, and it had warmed up to a blistering 70 degrees. Needless to say, the kids were "baking, melting, dying" from the intense heat. They were all walking single file along the fence line to use the 12 inches of shade that was sticking out. Well my sweet little Camryn stops, looks around and declares "I am going to walk in Mrs. Cindy's shadow, it's BIGGER!"

Yikes, ummm thanks Cam, I am glad I could help you cool off! :) I cracked up not only because it was true but I was really impressed with her wisdom and trouble shooting skillz.



That's Camryn right up front & center, showing that she also has mad posing skillz!

3 comments:

  1. Cindy, I swear that if I ever have small children in need of day-care, that I will drive the four and a half hours there and back to drop them off and then there and back to pick them up.

    Everyday!

    Of course I can make this ridiculous promise because I have NO little kids..... In need of day-care or otherwise. But it would be tempting, so very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny for us, but I wonder for you about the shadow. I think I would have laughed so hard. You are doing such a wonderful service. I think you must hear some real doosers of stories. Please always share them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy - how do you do it! I am amazed at your energy. Those children are blessed to have you care for them every day. What wonderful experiences you are providing for them.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!