Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Mariners Are Home Again!

I am notoriously NOT into sports... I listen to the quickie updates on the morning news, and can hold my own surprisingly well in conversations with most people... but I've just never really cared enough to follow a team through the duration of a season.

EXCEPT... about ten years ago, when I started catching Mariner's games on the way home from work. At first, it was an annoyance that they were blocking out whatever I'd normally be listening to, but then they grew on me. Dave Niehaus is so infectious to listen to, it's hard to NOT get caught up in the excitement! I found myself actively listening to games, and that translated to watching games on TV too.

For 18 years leading up to the 2003 season, the Mariners games were carried on Seattle's 710 KIRO. KIRO also happened to be my normal commuting station, which is how I started listening to the games in the first place. The station and the team seemed to be perfect for each other! Nearly all of KIRO's features seemed to be tied in some way to the Mariners, and several of KIRO's personalities were known all around the northwest from their presence in Mariners broadcasts. I remember a conversation with The Donald, in which he mentioned how much he loved the post-game show with New York Vinnie. I mentioned that yeah, he's great, and he also has a night time show every night here! I got to feel like I was getting a little something special...

So it was strange - surreal even - when midway through the 2002 season, it was announced that a different Seattle radio station, KOMO had outbid KIRO for the broadcast rights. It was stressed that the entire play-by-play team would be moving over, so I hoped it would just be the minor inconvenience of pushing a different button on the radio for the games.

But when the 2003 season started, I instantly found that I didn't enjoy listening to the games anymore. Though there were a number of little things I picked out, I really still can't explain why I just didn't like it. It just felt wrong! Plus, with the Mariners gone, KIRO's then-owners decided to let N.Y Vinnie go. Looking back, they really seemed bent on dismantling the station!

A few weeks ago, a rumor began swirling around town that KIRO had won the contract back... This was strengthened by ads that they were running frequently, congratulating Dave Niehaus on his upcoming induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame. It sounded much more intimate than just a "congratulations."

And this morning as I was driving to work, I was told that at noon today there would be a "special announcement." I instinctively knew exactly what that announcement was, but still checked in on the radio rumor blog to see what they had to say. Sure enough, they were crowing that they had called it weeks ago, and all the world would soon know!

At 12:06, Mid-day host (and Seahawks pregame guy) Dori Monson announced that he had Mariners execs Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong in the studio with him, and they announced that they were "Coming home to KIRO." I was surprised that the execs would be so blunt about the coming home aspect, since they still have half a season to go at KOMO.. but they did. Furthermore, Lincoln went on to comment on how he's very aware that the team hasn't had a winning season since they left KIRO. Dori chimed in that he referred to that as "KOMO Mojo" which caused me to laugh out loud... Yes, it felt somewhat mean-spirited toward the current broadcast partners, but it's TRUE!! I've felt it for the past six seasons, and it feels so good to know that they'll be back where they belong. (Which is another phrase that both sides used today)

Later, Dori had a phone interview with Niehaus, who was much more careful to not smack talk his current co-workers. Although... When asked point blank if it felt great to know he was "coming home," Dave replied with some politically correct blah blah... but in the midst of it, he said "you know, the people at KING have been great to work with..." Ummmm... KING is yet another Seattle station, and had at one time been a bitter rival to both KIRO and KOMO. However they don't even have an AM presence now - just an FM Classical station. Sounds like not even Dave Niehaus could wrap his mind around broadcasting on KOMO.

I would like to give a big, hearty WELCOME HOME to the Mariners, and a big hearty CONGRATULATIONS to KIRO for getting them back.

Next task: RE-HIRE NEW YORK VINNIE!! Short of bringing Lou Piniella back, Vinnie's the closest thing to a good luck charm they could have!

2 comments:

  1. Your love for the Mariners came through and to KIRO. Thanks.

    I did your tag. It was hard. In my best whiney voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike I've always known how much of a sports nut you aren't. I'm not one either. I can't stand to listen to sports on the radio but I'm really happy for you and the rest of the greater Seattle area that the Mariners are ready to come back home.
    When I hear about people listening to games over the radio, it always reminds me of Grandma Brinkerhoff. She would lay in her bed and listen to every Richland Bomber game ever played. Be it football, basketball, or baseball she would always have her bedside radio tuned in. She would have a pad of paper and a pencil (always a pencil. You never know when something might need to be erased.) This is usually what I think of when I have to listen to a game on the radio. And thinking of Grandma usually makes it bearable.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!