Wednesday, September 24, 2008

EDIT!

It seems like I keep having reasons to reference my time at AEI Music!

Today's reason is related to a wedding I'll be DJing this Saturday. I don't do many DJ jobs these days, and have done ZERO promotion for the past several years. But there are a few very happy repeat customers who just keep referring me to their friends and families. This Saturday I'll be providing music for one of those family members. It's kinda funny, after all this time, and literally 3-4 different weddings, I'm starting to recognize people, see the babies growing up... I almost feel like part of the family!

So - there's this wedding on Saturday. A few days ago I got the list of specific music they're requesting for the night. This will be a BIT of a stretch, as they want the mix to lean heavily toward the country side of things. Not a big problem, I've got the basics of current country, and made sure I've got the specific songs they want for the "First Dance" and other assorted events of the evening. Oh, and as a bonus, the bride is specifically requesting NOT to have the YMCA or the Macarena played during the reception. That'll be nice for a change!!

She also made a unique request - the kind that I love, that keeps me coming back to these gigs whenever they call me... This request is likely to be met with uproarious laughter from all within earshot. Here is her request:

And as a surprise for David, I would like you to play "Another One Bites the Dust" after we are introduced by the Pastor. Only a short part of that please.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

The only thing is, I completely agree that it needs to be just a short part... The song is recognizable enough just from the first few notes that they alone would get the point across. But I really don't like doing the fade-out in the middle of a song, especially if people still haven't figured out what's playing yet.

This sounds like a job for... EDIT MAN!

Back when I worked at AEI, I was the go-to guy for edits.

"That hot new single you want to put in Limited Too's new program has a bad word in it? CONSIDER IT CLEANSED!"

"For some completely incomprehensible reason to any sane person, Old Navy needs to have the entire second verse removed from that classic disco song? DONE!"

Although it's been several years since I've had either of those conversations, I can still hear the call when EDIT MAN's skills are needed.

So tonight I slid down the EDIT POLE, dusted off the EDIT CAVE, and fired up the EDIT COMPUTER, and proceeded to EDIT THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS out of Queen's 1980 Classic!

I reduced it from its standard 3:37 down to 18 seconds... But then I thought, if the joke is over early, that is potentially a lot of time to let it play out. Another SLICE 'n' DICE is in order!

Final product: 13 seconds of Highly Concentrated '80s Greatness!


My hope is that the timing works out perfectly, everyone has a good laugh, and then it's over and on to the reception without a hitch...

And, of course, that the groom has a sense of humour!!

1 comment:

  1. Mike I think anyone that doesn't know that song from just the first 3 seconds isn't going to ever get it anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!