Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Autumn Yard Update

We've had a lot of yard work going on throughout 2008. I started the project off by bringing some work home in April. Then in July, Cindy paid the kids $1 per bucket of weeds they pulled from our side yard, which had come to be known as "The Jungle." At the end of that project, the former Jungle looked like this.



Well, between then and now, I got that big pile of topsoil spread around, and put down grass seed, which sprouted and took off faster than I thought possible! This morning, here is the same section of our yard.



To help it even more, and to help the backyard recover from a summer of a baker's dozen Puddle Jumpers running, playing and jumping on it, we just had a load of Tagro (an organic fertilizer made by the City of Tacoma) delivered.



It's GREAT stuff, and incredibly affordable, but it definitely comes with a price of its own. The price of smell. Last year after spreading it on the front yard, my uncle Richard found great delight in telling us that our lawn "smells like crap". Hey Rich, it's time for you guys to come down again! ;)

Cindy spent the day while I was slaving at my desk, slaving over a wheelbarrow, spreading around little piles of Tagro, then spreading the little piles around to cover the yard.



It worked so well in the front last year, we got even more this time around, so we can cover the front, the back, and the baby-grass on the side yard.

As I recall, the smell kinda fades away after a couple weeks... I sure hope that's not just wishful thinking!!

4 comments:

  1. How funny. But if it smells and works, go for it. It looks great. Huge difference. Good job guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I wish we could grow grass from seed here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would gladly put up with bad smell to have our lawn looking not half dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grass looks great. I wish ours turned out half that well.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!