Friday, January 23, 2009

Amazing View Of The Inauguration


Just for a moment, throw out the political views and agendas involved, and just take in the scope of this week's Inauguration.

The estimates of 1.8 million people seem to be agreed upon, and the visual spectacle of seeing all of those people in one place is a powerful sight.

Undoubtedly, nearly everyone there was packing some sort of camera... Certainly there were professional and press photographers lining the entire perimeter.

One such photographer used a robotic camera mount called a Gigapan to stitch together 220 shots to make a monstrous, 1,474 Megapixel image that you can zoom through, pan around, take in the massive event in amazing clarity.

For more details on how the picture was created, go here.

10 comments:

  1. That is incredible. You just can't even imagine what it must have looked like and felt like. The ants go marching one by one harrah.

    Thanks for sharing that Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is one incredible picture. Thanks for sharing it Mike. I'm going to go back to it now and play with it a little longer. Maybe I'll even catch someone picking their nose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back. Wouldn't it have been cool if he would have stuck a picture of Waldo somewhere in there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, both of Susan's comments are so funny.

    That was amazing! Everyone was so clear. Technology these days....simply amazing....or not so simply.....which ever way you look at it....amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome. I think I am going to take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, I am having more fun with this picture than should be legal. I even found a few flaws where a couple people are merged into one person. A few people with kleenex to nose but so far no one with actual boogerage showing. And WHAT is with those robed or hooded people up in the upper echelons of the White House. Hmmm, off I go for more research!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I found a few artifacts where you could tell people moved between one picture and the next - there's a guy near Aretha Franklin (and her hat) who has two faces...

    By the way, have you found many recognizable celebrities? I found Aretha (and her hat) as well as Bush II and Cheney.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spied the Clintons (big deal) and Newt Gingrich, and I also spotted David Gregory of NBC News and sometimes The Today Show.
    I'll have to go find Aretha's hat, because I assume that there I will find Aretha. Or do they have seperate seats?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found Aretha and her "HAT" and she apparently has "The Invisible Man" trying to sit in her lap.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!