Thursday, January 15, 2009

She Did It!

After falling for a trick question on her first attempt, yesterday Ellysa again ventured into the depths of the DMV, and emerged victorious with her License to Learn to Drive!



She was ready... SO ready...



And last night, since she was going to church for youth activity night anyway, we got there a little early so she could, for the first time, meet The Clutch. She did really well, stalling it a few times, but quickly learned important Clutch Concepts, like pushing the clutch in whenever you need to hit the brake...



I've actually been dreading this moment for several years, but after trying to teach our niece Chelsey to drive last summer scared the crap out of me, I figured I would either be somewhat desensitized now, or would have a much greater level of appreciation for Ellysa when she started driving and did things well.

Well, she really did! After the activity, I let her drive around for another 20 minutes or so, and she made several laps around the parking lot. I had her stop, and then restart on a slight hill, so she could feel the need to keep the car from rolling backwards... I had her park, so she could give Reverse a try... For a first timer, I am very proud of her!

But what's a first drive without some comic relief? After doing really well, and getting some confidence, I told her to go down one side of the parking lot, and park it, so I could take over and drive us home.

I TOTALLY know why those official driver's ed cars have a brake pedal on the passenger side for the instructor... In a quick moment of Oopsitude, she hit the gas rather than the brake, and...



Her nervous giggle was really cute, and helped keep my calm... It was (obviously) dark, so I didn't get to see if there's any damage, but I'm thinking other than some scrapes on the front bumper, we got off pretty easy. And luckily, the handrail for the stairs she almost climbed was spared!

Good job on your first drive, Ellysa! I'm proud of you, and I love you!!

11 comments:

  1. So glad it was you and not me. I am afraid I would be in line buying her a bus pass this morning... :)

    Good job Ellysa, you will be a great driver! Practice, Practice, Practice (with Mike of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Ellysa! I remember learning stick was a nightmare. The car I was learning on was older than I was, and it was terrible. I hope you're able to catch on a lot more quickly than I was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Ellysa's car is older than she is, too!

    YAY TRADITION!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'd say that's a scary time in a parents life for sure. I was thinking of installing an additional brake pedal in our car. It's either that or send Brent out to do the teaching. What a fun time though, i remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very cool. Now you have someone else to go get the milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are trick questions on the written test?!?!?
    How dare they do something that wicked!!!
    I am absolutely OUTRAGED!
    Ellysa, I am proud of you for passing that test on the second time.
    Did the second one include any more evil trickery?
    I am also happy that you are learning to drive a stick. A really good thing to learn. And just so you don't feel bad, I used to have trouble stopping as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Driving is fun. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Möglicherweise erlerne ich, wie man erlerne Antrieb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Translation:

    :) I may learn how to learn driving!

    Thank you, Anonymous Deutsche
    Sprecher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say that from what I have seen on this Brinkerhoff Blog I am very impressed how much everybody seems to get along. I would never guess just by reading that this was a "your mine and ours" family. It is so refreshing to see love abound within a family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy - thank you so much for the kind comment!

    We have always tried to attain the level of love and unity that an un-blended family would have, so hearing that really made my night!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!