Monday, February 23, 2009

Gettin' Back To Business!



I started DJing dances when I was 14... a few years later I landed an incredibly fun contract - I was the official DJ for Church Youth Dances in Bellevue, and after a year or two, neighboring stake Redmond came calling, asking if I'd DJ theirs too.

I DJ'd the Bellevue ones for pretty close to ten years, before a change in the leadership resulted in them making changes that were nearly guaranteed to kill the awesome time we'd enjoyed, so I stepped down rather than compromise what I loved to do. I heard from well-placed spies that within a few months, those dances were deader than dead, which I'm pretty sure was the goal...

In the years since, I've done a fair share of wedding receptions, company parties and picnics, and even a few Church functions - but not youth dances.

----

You may recall a few months ago, Cindy and I decided that we were going to start the DJ business back up after having mothballed it for the past few years. Things are going really well so far! I had a wedding reception a couple weeks ago, and have bookings in July, August and September! We're really excited to get rolling in this area again, since it's possibly the most fun you can have while also making good money!

----

A couple weeks ago, my sister Linda called up and asked if I'd be interested in DJing the Church Youth Dances down in Olympia where they live. I had been thinking that it would be fun to start doing that again, so I enthusiastically said yes.

This evening on my way home from work, I talked to the guy coordinating those dances, and he was excited to have me on board as I was to be on board!

Starting on April 12, I will be the official DJ for Olympia Stake Youth Dances!

I'm really happy with how this is turning out, and can't wait for 8:00 on April 12!

10 comments:

  1. What fun! I am sure you'll do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the universe was right again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you were a cat Mike. I always pictured a more human like figure.

    That will be a blast. You will be back to rallying the dancers in no time. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi - that may just be my favorite comment ever! :)

    Jan - that's funny... One of the guys I play racketball with said I remind him of a cat too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now if only this had happened years ago when I was allowed in to these dances! I can see a lot of good coming from this development though, even if I'm too old for stake dances now. Especially if Cindy and Danee come down to Olympia and need somewhere to hang out while you're busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, the built-in babysitting was one of the perks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Stake is sooooo lucky!

    OK...those Pasco pictures were awesome and I am only too bummed that we were under the weather. (I wouldn't have come within a mile of our home that week :)

    That picture of Payson and Danee is priceless...two little angels. I love the mom's holding the other mom's baby picture. (Did that make ANY sense?) Danee is getting so big! She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike that is absolutely one of the best things I've heard. Ever. I get excited just thinking how those Olympia kids are going to react to being in the presence of a true master. Of course a few months from now, it might still technically be the Olympia dance, but I bet that at least half the kids there will have traveled from other parts of the area to be there.
    Three Cheers for Linda for making it happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome Mike. I've been thinking alot about church dances lately, since my oldest turns 14 in a few weeks. I want to go so badly to her first dance, she's not so sure about this.

    I'll check out the Pasco Stake ones and see if they need a little livening up, though that might be a little too far of a commute for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've done the Tri-Cities commute for a gig before... And I did DJ one Kennewick dance back in the '80s.

    When I turned 14, I was completely let down by the dances in our stake, and set out to do something about it... which is how I started DJing at 14! =)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!