Thursday, February 26, 2009

A School Report

Person I’d Like to See Again
By: Andrew Brinkerhoff

I had to think a while to answer this question, but then I thought of someone. My Grandpa Brinkerhoff was someone who was important to me, because he and I were a lot alike.

See, Grandpa Brinkerhoff was quite interesting. He was a genius, too. He was the inventor of those big fluorescent lights you see in grocery stores, and he also created some other neat stuff. He loved green (lemon-lime) Kool-Aid more than anything. He and I drove around for an hour looking for something I made up completely. We went down to the Columbia River together. Being autistic can often make it difficult to communicate with others who do or don’t know about my autism, but Grandpa was most likely autistic too, so we had no trouble together.

Sadly, he died in August 2007. That was the first funeral I’ve attended before. People may think my grandpa is a little strange, which is probably true, but I’m a little strange sometimes, so I don’t mind. If I saw him again, I’d probably show him all of the books I’ve written. I think he’d like them.

Thanks for reading.



Andy was given this assignment for English. I was touched and loved his thoughts and memories about his Grandfather. I hope that you might also be touched. His Teacher left a nice note for Andy too, it read:

"It is so good to have someone in your life that means so much. That person enriches you and is like a thread in your blanket of life"

8 comments:

  1. What a neat post and memory of Grandpa. That picture has me missing him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd LOVE to see him again too. just reading that made me cry a little. thanks andy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was one of the most kind and sincere people that I have ever known.

    Andy, this was a very well written and touching essay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! I didn't know Reid, so it's interesting to find out more about him through the eyes of an adoring grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special school project. Thanks Cindy for posting this for us all to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew, that was probably one of the best things you've ever written. I agree that Grandpa loved you and took a real interest in you. I miss my Father a great deal, and it makes me smile to see such a lovely tribute to him. It really breaks my heart that you and so many of your cousins, my three youngest included, never had a chance to know his mother, Grandma Brinkerhoff. She was one of the best people who ever lived, and Grandpa was like her in many ways.
    One more thing, I agree with you, Grandpa would have been so happy and impressed to read all of your books, and he would probably have been Rodney and Jim's biggest fan.
    Thanks Cindy, for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he would have even learned how to leave comments on your comic strips. Well done Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture very much. I think Grandpa was still himself in that picture. We'll see him again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!