Friday, March 20, 2009

Geek Out! - Hatin' on itunes, The Sequel

*note* I'm a technology geek. I sometimes want to ramble on about geeky stuff that probably nobody else will care about, since you're all here to see the latest family updates... So when I'm about to go geeksplosive, I'll mark the posts Geek Out!, and you can just know to move along. Fair? I thought so!

Don't worry, there are lots of new Danee pics and other family news, which'll be up here soon! *end note*

It's been a while since I've unleashed my righteous rage against apple's scamtastic itunes empire, and if you've missed my geek'd out ranting, today's your lucky day!

Since it has been a while, you may have missed the first round... If that's true, and you're wondering why on Earth the normally level-headed and incredibly handsome Mike would be pouring haterade all over the sweet and fluffy apple, just click here. It's all explained. Then come back here and join the rest of the class. I'll wait...

Hi, welcome back!! I hope you learned something, maybe had an eye opening experience back there. Anyway, here's what's happened since I wrote that optimistic tribute to Amazon's mp3 store:

Amazon was successful in bringing all the major record labels on board, so now there's not much domestically released music that can't be found there, in deliciously unrestricted mp3 files! Earlier this year, apple finally made all of itunes DRM-Free, removing the restrictions but keeping their pesky aac file format. In 2009, there are more music players that know how to play aac than there were in 2007 when I wrote that last article, but it's still just an annoying complication in a world where "mp3" MEANS digital music.

Also since we last talked, Internet speeds have steadily risen, to where now video is being as commonly downloaded as audio was a couple years ago. There are several ways to get movies on demand over the 'net now, with Netflix offering an outstanding service to computers, xBox 360, Tivo and other set-top boxes. If you haven't tried it, it's my favorite aspect of having a Netflix account! I can add a movie to my "Instant Watch" queue, then go over to the Tivo, and it's there in the list, ready to watch right now! You get unlimited movies with your $9.99 plan, in addition to the DVDs. The quality is great - I haven't had any complaints in the last few months of watching them. My only complaint is that the selection of instant-watch movies is limited compared to what's on DVD. That, undoubtedly will change.

Netflix isn't the only player in the online movies game, just the best. There are several other companies including Amazon, offering the same concept. The itunes store is one of them. Through there, you can "rent" a movie for $5, or "buy" a standard-def movie for $15. A few days ago, they added hi-def movies for $20.

Okay, already I'm irritated with the whole thing! $15 is the price for a movie on DVD. $20 will get you a Blu-Ray disc. Colour me cheap, but I can't justify paying the same price for a download with no disc, no case, no liner notes, no special features, and so on. But I'll admit, that's me. Other people may not have any issues with that, and they're welcome to spend $20 on a downloaded movie.

But they'd better have a brand-spankin' new monitor hooked up to their computer if they want to watch their new hi-def entertainment in itunes, which is the only way you can watch it...



Meet HDCP. High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It's a system that ensures that the movie you're playing, is going to a dead-end in your monitor, and not being funneled out to a recording device. If they could find a way to ensure that only one set of eyeballs watches it, they'd add that in a heartbeat. Now watching content you've paid for is dependent on having the right kind of monitor and of course, the right kind of cable connecting it.

HDCP wasn't invented by apple, but they're among the first companies to use it to block consumers from using the content they've paid for. Conveniently, Apple would be happy to sell you a new HDCP compliant monitor...

My point? With the Netflix streaming service, I can watch movies on my computer or my Tivo, and it just works. apple has made a legacy out of ads mocking Windows for being hard to use, while their mac systems "just work".

Well, they "just work" as long as you keep re-buying your systems to stay caught up with the latest restrictive technology.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again - don't buy from itunes. There's way too much control involved, and none of it is in your hands.

7 comments:

  1. Wow...

    What do they consider an "authorized display device". Is this a particular model of video adaptor supports HDCP, or is it just one that doesn't have any Video Out?

    Did you get that message AFTER you purchased the movie, or was that a message you got while attempting to purchase it?

    Is that borderline invasion of privacy?

    Seriously. What happens if I don't want iTunes to know what kind of video adapters, printers, dongles or Remote Computer Controlled Motion Sensing 50 caliber Sentry Guns I have hooked up to my computer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - you get it exactly!

    And no, the warning doesn't come up until AFTER you pay the $20 for the hi-def movie, and sit down with popcorn to watch it.

    HDCP Monitors aren't just ones with no video out, they're a whole new level of hardware DRM. And there have been reports of monitors claiming to be HDCP compliant only to have them be rejected by whatever would be serving content up to it.

    Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man... That is cheap!

    This whole DRM thing is a bunch of you-know-what. Where were the music companies when teenage boys with their flock-of-seagulls hairdos where using their boom boxes with side-by-side cassette decks to make mix tapes for their phoebe-cates-wannabe girlfriends?

    Why didn't music companies throw a hissy fit about 3M selling blank cassette tapes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They actually did - they tried passing a tax on blank tapes that would have more than doubled the cost. Luckily it got shot down...

    Now, it's neck-n-neck between the music companies, the movie studios, and the middle men (like apple) to see who's the most draconian sleezebag of the bunch.

    My overall stance is that if the studios allow Netflix to stream online to your computer without checking to see if you've got an HDCP monitor, it's probably not THEM dictating that apple lock their offerings down...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch. That is so wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. Ya I do have a serious addiction to Cadbury Mini Eggs, it's good to know I am not alone.
    So you live in Fircrest. Isn't that close to University Place. Anyway, my daughter and son-n-law used to live in University Place. In fact my Son-in-law grew up there. Just wondering if you might know some of his family that is still there. Do you know any of the Gehrings?

    Thanks, Connie

    By the way, I live south of you by about an hour and a half, just off I5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's always one bright spot to look for when it comes to stuff like this, and it's that companies (like Amazon with their no-DRM mp3's) will realize there's a huge market out there full of people that don't like getting screwed and will cater to them.

    Crap like this is just the weak last gasps of crippled relics on their way out.

    Great blog post by the way. I'll be keeping an eye out for more of the Geek Out variety :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!