Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Can Has Rest?

I am tired today.

Way more tired than a normal Wednesday...

Notice that there haven't been many (any?) posts up here lately? We've been busy.

From the day Danee's adoption was complete, we've had anywhere from 1 to 10 extra people staying at our house, and a lot of them have also needed transportation to and from the airport.

Don't get me wrong - I love having company over - it's been amazingly rewarding to have so many friends and family sacrificing their own regularly scheduled activities to spend time with my family!

I also love like don't hate shuttling people to the airport.

But I am absolutely, positively, 100% exhausted now.

This past weekend really did me in...

After taking care of Cindy's brother's two boys all of last week, while their parents were in Rome for Easter, I got to pick up said parents at the airport around 9:00 pm last Thursday.

Friday evening my brother Brian, and Cindy's aunt Garnette were flying in. We had been VERY smart in coordinating their flights so that the arrived within a few minutes of each other - right around 9:00. Yay Us!!

Except...

Brian lives in Colorado. While driving to the Denver airport, he ran into a blizzard with 50 miles to go. He missed his flight. Amazingly, he was booked onto another flight from a different airline, and wasn't even charged a ticket-change fee!

That was GREAT news!

But the downside was that his new flight was delayed by several hours.

When I got back from picking up Garnette, Brian called and said that he was on board the plane, but that they had to go to the de-icing station. I'm all about safety, so it's hard to complain about that, but by the time the plane was de-iced, and finally got in the air, it was 10:25 our time, and touchdown wasn't going to happen until 1:30 Saturday morning.

Brian and I got home at about 2:30 am on Saturday (after all, being out with my brother after midnight doesn't happen often, so we celebrated with milkshakes from Jack in the Box.) and crashed out. But not for long, because Ellysa had a water polo tournament and needed to be at the pool by 7:45, and the rest of us - Cindy, Brian, Heidi, Jeff, Garnette, Danee and our beloved Elder Cram (favorite Missionary ever!) had to be up in Bellevue at 10.

We barely made it, but we did make it, and it was great! We experienced a few miracles over the course of Sealing our family for eternity, and we are very thankful.

Then it was back home. And over to Gig Harbor (across the dreaded Toll Bridge!) to take The Cram home, and the rest of the evening consisted of Brian, Heidi and I re-living the hilarious hijinks of our youth.

Sunday morning, Brian was flying back to Colorado, so I was up and at 'em at 5:00 to take him to the airport.

On Monday we were happy to still have Garnette staying with us, but nobody had any energy to cook dinner, so we let Little Caesar's treat us to some Pizza Pizza.

Tuesday night was a farewell dinner for Auntie G at the Funky Iguana, courtesy of Cindy's Dad (aka Garnette's baby brother).

And this morning at 4:00, I dragged myself out and safely delivered Auntie G into the custody of Alaska Airlines for her return flight to sunny Arizona.

Then it was back home, and take Ellysa to school.

Then it was back home, and take Kaylee to school.

Then it was back home, pay some much needed attention to my blog, and then head off for work.

I'd give just about anything to head back down to bed instead!

6 comments:

  1. You need and Cindy need a break really bad.

    We had a great time with you guys. I am so glad I got to be part of your special day. It was a real privilege.

    I know I left a pair of pants and a shirt behind though. If I send you some money for shipping could you mail it to me? I kinda need them and I don't know when I'll be back around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't envy all that shuttling that you've been doing, but it was a spectacular Saturday, and I'm glad I got to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...just reading this post made me tired! I think I will go take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Ellysa had her own car now. Did something happen I'm not aware of? It's funny how even really GOOD times can take it out of you and make you so ready for a great big rest. At least you can rest and have good memories. Btw, I just loved Cindy's Aunt Garnette. What a neat lady. I wish I had been able to spend more time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it slows down for you enough to get some much needed RandR. You deserve it. Big time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, I'm sorry to have disparaged your beloved Tacoma. I'm actually well aware that it really was our fault for not paying attention. And I know this will sound like I'm passing judgment on my husband, but Don couldn't find his way out of a paper bag. Even WITH directions. He just doesn't pay close enough attention. And when I notice a sign or exit or whatever and he doesn't, he gets mad at me for giving him a heads up. I admit that I can't find my way very well either unless I have directions. But with directions I'm fine. I know the obvious answer is to have me drive. The last few years though I have a problem with nerves while driving in uncharted areas. Thats why I make a much better navigator. Don refuses to have one though.
    I also do realize it's not really Tacoma's fault. I was simply taking some creative license. I hope you aren't offended too badly. The real bad guys here is that stupid company that the government contracts with for people's CONVENIENCE. They work for every state, county and even worse they do the IRS stuff. I'm surprised there hasn't been a general uproar about the whole thing.
    Love you Much!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!