Friday, May 08, 2009

Love My Home, But Not My House

I've said it before.  And I've said it again.

Once again, I've been reminded that if there's going to be a problem with my house, it'll be a problem with plumbing.  And if not plumbing in the traditional sense, then still, a problem with getting water from point A to point B.

Or getting water OFF of point R, which in tonight's case, is our stupid, flat roof.

Two summers ago, Cindy and I totally revamped our house's drainage system - dug trenches, ran pipe, whisked the water away from our foundation.

But we have a flat roof, and live in a town called Fircrest. You may notice that the first half of Fircrest is Fir. As in Fir Trees. And there are a lot of them. Our house used to have 7 of them in the yard, but we've had several cut down. Who ever approved the plans for a house with a flat roof in this community, was obviously some kind of fraud artist... I think it's time to open a "cold case" file on it, find the guy, and make him pay!!

With as much rain as we've had over the past month or two, I knew that our roof was very likely holding some standing water. The downspouts that feed our new-and-improved drainage system get plugged far more often than you'd think they should. (Personally, I think they should NEVER get plugged... Shows how much my thinking is worth...)

Today was actually sunny. At one point today, Cindy saw a bird fly on to our roof and start splashing around, enjoying a gigantic bird bath.

So I grabbed the ladder and headed up... And found the worst water-on-the-roof problem I've ever seen. It was over 6 inches deep in the deep parts. I pulled the pine needles away from the one working downspout (actually, I cleared all 3, but only one was working) and it had so much water flushing down it, that it made a whirlpool in the surrounding roof-lake.

I tried plunging and snaking the other two downspouts, to no avail. Finally we got the hoses up on the roof and started a couple siphons to help get the water off the roof.

It was a horrible, frustrating experience, but there was some beauty to be found...

It turns out that a roof-lake at dusk makes for some pretty awesome pictures!









Tyler and Kaylee had a great time skipping pinecones across the lake, but I just really want to have the time - preferably when it's not raining - to clear out all the downspouts again...

3 comments:

  1. Funny, I never noticed that your house had a flat roof. I can't believe that something like building a flat roof in the Seattle Tacoma area would have even been legal. Even way back then. So are you going to need to have a new sloped roof built? It seems like that might be the only viable solution. Gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how nice the pictures are. Do the kids get to go swimming in you rooftop pool when the weather warms up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your plumbing problems! I was having a similar problem at my home a while back, and with the right kind of help I was able to get it resolved. Hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!