Wednesday, June 17, 2009

All's Quiet on the Hen House Front

Tonight looked very promising. After that last post, I did as I said - I went out and released the hens so they could have some free outside time, and to give them an opportunity to do the right thing at bedtime.

As the sun was starting to set, I looked and saw one of the girls walk up the ramp and into the house all by herself! YEAH!!

Then she walked back out... but that's okay, it wasn't really bedtime yet.

Then a while later, a bunch of the youth from church stopped by, doing an "amazing race" of quick service projects at as many houses as they could. Part of the fun of coming to our house was, of course, to see Danee... But the other part was getting to see, hold, and pose for pictures with, our chickens.

It wasn't dark yet, but the three model citizen hens had done the right thing, and were perched on their roost waiting for night time. Psycho Chicken (aka Trouble) was still wandering around outside, not giving me a lot of confidence that she had any intentions of caving to The Man...

Then to make matters more interesting, suddenly two carloads of teenagers were grabbing chickens out of their cozy hen house and holding them for pictures, pretending to lick and/or eat them, etc, etc, and yes, etc.

When they all left, I had my doubts that the girls would go back in... So I checked outside regularly. They'd be huddled outside the door as if pondering going in... Then they'd be nowhere near the door...

Finally after bathing Danee and putting her to bed, I went out to check on them. Imagine my utter shock when this is what I saw through the little side window!!



Ahhhh... Nighty Night, Little Henny Pennies!

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know that they went on perches. I always thought they had rousting boxes. Most of my chicken knowledge comes from cartoons after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh because my kids are watching Chicken Little right now.

    Really!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee, we are in the official chicken club together. Cock a doodle doo......

    We love our eggs. And I have enjoyed your whole coop process. This is great guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meanwhile Psycho Chick is heard muttering under her breath,"fine, I'll give in on the stupid house, but just to show them, I will only lay square eggs!"

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!