Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Work and Play Collide

(By Mike Brinkerhoff - from Keeping Up With The Brinkerhoffs)



Long before I started righting the wrongs of the geek squad for a living, I spent a good 15-20 years where every penny I earned came from something to do with music. I've written about that before, (click here, then here to refresh) and after all those years, it stopped being so fun. Music became work. I switched to my "other skill" and did computers.

Over time, I started dipping my toes back into the "music as an income source" pool, with an occasional DJ gig here and there. Then about a year ago, Cindy and I officially re-launched the DJ Business, and 2009 has been a very full year, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it again!

The pic at the top was from last Saturday, when I DJ'd a "Neon Dance". Black lights were everywhere, neon glowing paint was all over clothing, faces and arms... and a good time was had by all!



Our own Ellysa held a special position of honor, when she got to put on a sumo suit and dance with lucky non-sumo people while "Kung-Fu Fighting" played.



That was fun, but then it was off to the wrestling mat, where she was promptly dropped flat on her back!



Luckily that rubberized hair helmet protected her head!

To top the night off, Andy (in his neon yellow shirt) wowed the crowd with his amazing breakdancing skillz. I kept trying to get a good picture of him, but that dude's 'fro kept getting in the way!



It's nice to finally have balance where I can make some money off my musical skills, but keep it light enough that it doesn't become overbearing. It's gotta be fun, right??

5 comments:

  1. That looks sweeeeet! I didn't know Andy could break dance. Awesome!

    I am also very pleased to see two posts in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled Mike that you are back doing what you love, and having such success at it too. Was it a school or church dance? Hey btw, if you have any time the next time you East Side it, I would appreciate very much if you could give my computer a check up. I have a feeling we should have gotten it a flu shot a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! What kind of dance was that? School? Church???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, sorry! That was a Church dance - right here in Tacoma Stake. I don't have a deal with Tacoma like I do in Olympia, but I'm hoping that the smashing success of last Saturday will lead to a change in that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ellysa looks GOOD, and andys danceing, oops i mean DREWS dancing is Awsome. :D

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!