Monday, November 23, 2009

Bye Bye, Butta!

(By Mike Brinkerhoff - from Keeping Up With The Brinkerhoffs)

Remember this?



If not, click here to catch up...

In the short year that's passed since then, we've welcomed a new baby into our family, started a new business, successfully trained a teen driver, AND USED UP ALL 68 POUNDS OF BUTTER!!!

It was with great regret on Saturday that I opened the door to the butter cooler at Costco and grabbed a box.



At least it was (slightly) less than $2.00 a pound, which is good among the commoners, but for the last year, we've been paying a mere 50 cents per pound of fresh creamery butter, so it still hurt!

I'm hoping the magic butter fairy presents us with another screaming yellow deal soon because with Holiday baking season upon us, we go through a whole lotta butta!

For example, after Costco on Saturday, I took some butter, some powdered sugar, some flour and some nuts, and created these...



...which were then rolled in more powdered sugar to become these!



See, while we were at Costco, Cindy noticed a Betty Crocker baking mix for Russian Tea Cakes. I scoffed and said I could make them without any stupid mix... to which she replied something along the lines of "MAKE THOSE COOKIES!"

And so I did.

And they're delicious.

And the 2009 Holiday Baking Season is OPEN!!!

5 comments:

  1. and they are delicious! I had to monitor the kids so I would get a couple! Thanks honey, I am grateful for a husband that loves me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they were yummy! Those are so melt in your mouth cookies. I really love it when they have the real vanilla extract too...mmmm...I think I might make some too.

    Could you send me the recipe? I was also wondering if your recipe for cream pie uses flour or cornstarch. I'm looking for one that uses flour. If you'd be willing to share those I'd be really grateful. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum yum.
    I'm surprised. Around here just about everyone and their monkey have butter on sale for a buck fifty a pound box. Of course I have stocked up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That butter doesn't look nearly as good and the big block of Butta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmmm I can smell them! Where's mine.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!