Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"Mom, what's for dinner?"

(By Cindy Brinkerhoff - from Keeping Up With The Brinkerhoffs - if you don't see the pics, just click on over!)

Flash back a month or so ago...

Ellysa states "this family eats the same stuff every week!" My initial reactions was to get mad and tell her she could start making the meals and see how sick we all get of Mac N' Cheese. But after thinking about it, I realized she was right. You could pretty much set your calender to the day what we would be having for dinner. The choices usually came down to Fish Tacos, S'ghetti, Breakfast for dinner and pulled pork sandwiches. With a few variations thrown in to mix things up. I decided that I would attempt to change things up a little.

This week Mike and I added to the challenge by determining to "use what we have in the cupboard" rather then running to the grocery store mid week adding to the bill, also finally using those random ingredients that have sat in the cupboard for some time. This extra challenge has forced me to think ahead and get creative. Day 2 today and I am having a blast!

So Last night I threw together a scrumptious enchilada casserole with Spanish rice, chips and homemade guacamole. The family was Happy- YAY!

Tonight's Menu...

White Bean Chili



Potato Skins and Cinnamon Rolls for dessert!



I am hoping for more smiles and Thumbs up :)

Oh, P.S. In the spirit of full disclosure, I DID need a can of corn, which we didn't have... But I didn't go to the store for it - I bartered a plate of fresh baked cookies with a neighbor for it! How's THAT for sticking to the plan??

5 comments:

  1. Ooooooooh, I didn't know about the cinnamon rolls!!! YUMMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two posts about food in one day! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A plate of freshly baked cookies for one lousy can of corn?!?
    That does it! You and Mike need to get here immediately and move into my neighborhood. I promise to always have at least one can of corn on hand at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Susan's motion for you to move into the neighborhood....that way I can stop by your place for dinner!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOW I HAVE GUILT!!!
    I am soooo in a cooking rut and I feel like I have been for a super long time! I would love you to email me some of those recipes you mentioned! And those donuts....wow!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!