Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Funny

It’s been a while since I’ve put up a Friday Funny, but I came across this site today that struck me as truly brilliant.

I remember being in 7th grade, when there was a relatively new comic strip called “Garfield” that everyone thought was so great. Okay, even I did. But it didn’t take long for the jokes to wear off, and it crossed from “great” to “why are they still publishing this?” in what seemed like the blink of an eye. To this day, I am flummoxed at the fact that it generally receives near top-billing on most comics pages. (I just love using the word flummoxed!)

A recent discovery has been made however, that turns the continuing presence of Garfield into a good thing. It’s called Garfield Minus Garfield, and consists of, as you may have guessed, Garfield strips with Garfield taken out. From the intro to the site, this new format allows us all to take…

a journey deep into the tortured mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness in a quiet American suburb

And it makes excellent use of the crutch Garfield has relied on for the past several years, where instead of actually being funny, they draw Jon in grotesquely exaggerated poses. Take away the cat, and suddenly you see a completely neurotic hermit who talks to himself.

Enjoy browsing through his world. And Jon, we’re not laughing with you, we’re laughing at you.

3 comments:

  1. Where do you find stuff like this? LOL Brandel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at the front page of this guys site, and I must say..I didn't know that the only thing holding back the Garfield comic strip was Garfield himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's renewed my interest in reading it now. If you look at the strip in the paper and mentally remove Garfield, the strips are occasionally laugh-out-loud funny!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!