Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Fog That Won't Lift

Memorial Day Weekend was GREAT!! The Pool Party Saturday was just the start... All three days were full-to-the-brim with exercising, bbqing, playing and also some yard working.

So it was understandable that when Monday evening came, Cindy and I were good 'n' tired, thoroughly exhausted from our three day weekend. And when Tuesday's alarm went off (remember, on Tuesdays I get up at 4:30 to play racketball) I was so completely zombified that I could barely even reach up and turn off the alarm to go back to sleep. When the second alarm went off (at 5:55) I still could barely force my eyes to open, and Cindy felt the same. We did eventually get up, but were unbelievably tired all day... Decided that we'd need to get to bed on time that night. And we pretty much did!

But then yesterday morning, the same thing happened. I had a hard time believing that I was still recovering from a very full weekend, because generally when I'm that active, it INCREASES my energy, rather than sucking it away completely. Yesterday at work, I fought to keep my eyes open, couldn't stop yawning during a meeting with the boss, and when I finally got home, the LAST thing I wanted to do was cook dinner. So Cindy and I told the kids to have a "make your own dinner night" and we went out to eat. Turns out she was also still tired to the point of barely functioning. (Dinner was yummy, we split a Pizza at
Bella Nina's)

As we were walking out to the car, an idea forced its way past the fog, into the conscious part of my brain... But first, a little back story:

I have HORRIBLE allergies. Back in the old days, I had to take two Dimetapp pills per day from April to August, or else I paid dearly. Even with that, there was generally one day per summer (far too often, on July 4th) when I would be completely decommissioned by a hay fever attack. My nose would run like a faucet - literally like a faucet, never stopping for 24 hours or so... Over the course of that day I'd rub all the skin off the end of my nose, usually couldn't sleep, it was completely miserable. I had tried some of the fancy new prescription allergy medications available, but nothing worked as well as my beloved Dimetapp. And if things got REALLY bad, I'd just take an Actifed or Benadryl and it would clear up my nose, but also knock me unconscious so I couldn't appreciate the lack of symptoms. One day I mentioned this to my doctor, and he informed me that the new generation of meds should be taken every day, whether you need them or not, so they build up in your system to prevent attacks before they start. Ohhhhhhh, I get it! I'd been treating Claritin, Allegra and Seldane as if they were "take on demand" meds, which is why they didn't work. So for the last several years, I've taken a Claritin a day, and for the most part, have been freed from the allergy prison of my youth. As an added bonus, Claritin was truly Non Drowsy, which had always been an issue with effective treatment before.

Last week I noticed that my Claritin supply was down to less than five, so it was time to get more. We needed to go to Costco for BBQ supplies anyway, so we headed down the allergy aisle, looking for their "Aller-Clear" generic version. What did I see next to it? A new, over the counter, generic version of Zyrtec! I'd never actually tried Zyrtec, but its proud claims of protecting against Indoor as well as Outdoor allergens was intriguing. Plus, it has a Z in the name! (I'm ALMOST embarrassed to say that was a factor, but come on... be honest... A brand name bold enough to use not just a Z, but a Z followed by a Y is COOL!!!) It cost a few bucks more than the Claritin, but the exciting letters in the name convinced us to go for it. Plus, in case Cindy's new guinea pig started to shed, it would be good to have protection against that.

Monday morning I left a few Claritins in the bottle and entered the bold new day of Zyrtec!

And Monday was the first day that I really felt exhausted. But did I see a connection? NO! I was exhausted because of all the physical exertion I'd exerted over the past three days!

Tuesday's daily routine included Zyrtec #2, and I think I mentioned above how that day went. (I'm PRETTY sure I did, but I'm too tired to go look and see)

Wednesday (which I think was yesterday) I took it again, and I KNOW I mentioned that, because it ended with Cindy and me going out to dinner.

So as we're walking to the car, this realization of what was different in my life that coincided with being so completely tired all the time came to me. And thus, I did say to my beloved wife, "I wonder if Zyrtec causes drowsiness?" She agreed that there was compelling evidence to suggest that it did, so when we got home I grabbed the bottle and there it was: "May Cause Drowsiness," followed by the even more forboding "Do not operate a motor vehicle or other equipment while taking this medication."

Well, well, well... That's quite a price to pay for protection against Indoor Allergens. Especially since I haven't even really had any issues with Indoor Allergens.

So this morning, Cindy and I took the last two Claritins, and she's going to go attempt to return the Zyrtec (along with its sexy name) and get another bottle of Claritin. I still feel groggy, but I took yesterday's Zyrtec at 10am, so hopefully it'll wear off in another hour or so. I certainly got enough sleep last night, we crashed - and I do mean CRASHED - at about 8:30... and I slept through another morning of racketball.

Finally, a question to my fellow allergy-sufferers: Have any of you encountered the wrath of Zyrtec? Is there anything on the over-the-counter market to topple Claritin from its throne of excellence and non-drowsiness? (And by "Claritin," I really mean "Loratadine," its active ingredient... so no fair citing Alavert, Aller-Clear, Wal-itin or any of the hundreds of other generic forms)

Let me know! Hopefully I'll be awake enough to coherently read the comments!

12 comments:

  1. i have terrible allergies. same exact story for me except the whole "love the Z" in Zyrtec. Got it at Costco and was extremely disappointed to suffer from drowsiness the first two-three days.

    Asked my friend, who is a doctor, and he said it may wear off after repeated use. So I stuck with it. I take a Zyrtec everyday - no drowsiness - and better, no allergy suffering.

    Wish I could have told you this a little sooner so you might try staying with it a little longer.

    I'm now a big Zyrtec fan. My doctor friend also takes it everyday - whether it is allergy season or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Mr. Mike and Brinkerhoff bunch. I pop in almost daily - and do to the grief i get about not leaving comments - here ya go. :) I have learned, and passed on, so much from your exorburant knowledge of information. my all time favorite is Icanhascheezburger.com. I played the cube game all the way to the end... i talked to winnie about her camping trip - which i learned from here...i've even been checking out some woot.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah, its me brandel..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is completely unrelated to what you just wrote, but I don't know how else to contact you. Go to your Wii and then go into the "check mii out" under the prom queen contest results you will find that I RHONDA (aka heidi) have taken 4TH PLACE!!!! Check it out. I am so stoked!!!(for the lack of a better phrase)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always thought it was so funny how all those allergy meds that pretty much knock you out, all have commercials showing people outside gardening, going to soccer games, competing in marathons, attending big family picnics, etc. We all know what those people are really doing. Staying at home and sleeping. Or at the very best, sitting at their desk or at whatever fun activity they should be enjoying, trying their very hardest to no nod off.

    Cindy should have no problem taking those pills back to Costco. They take back anything and they even do it with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob - Yeah, I wish we would have had that conversation sooner too... But it's good to know, and if the indoor allergens ever start to get the best of me, I'll give the Zyrtec another try...

    Brandel - THANK YOU! Although it really IS somewhat therapeutic to write stuff, it's knowing that other people are finding it entertaining or useful that really inspires me to keep going with it!

    Heidi - NICE!!! That is SO COOL!! Gonna go check your Mii out after work! Of course, we really should swap Wii codes too, so we can send Miis back and forth, play MarioKart online.. (I completely destroyed Mathew over the weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you considered doing allergy shots? Abbey has been doing them for the last six months and is doing great. She is VERY allergic to grass, mold, pollen, animals ext. With her shots she has stopped needing her daily asthma meds and she isn't showing other hayfever symptoms. She did pet a dog the other day and sneezed for the next too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two, I meant two. I hate spelling. And yes we should swap codes. Can you play Wii sports together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a chronic allergy sufferer, I have used all the "new generation" antihistamines. Claritin and Allegra did absolutely nothing for me. My allergist confirmed that both of these medications have that effect (or lack thereof) on people. I first tried Zyrtec up in Canada where it's known as Reactine and has been OTC for years. It's the only thing that's worked and I've never had any kind of medicine head from it.

    Prior to going OTC in the States it was a non-formulary medication that cost a butt-load of money. I used to order the generic stuff (cetirizine) from Canada until it became available here. The pharmacies where I work (Group Health) sell it over the counter and I can get a 100 day supply for $13... CHEAP.

    That being said, I am also on allergy shots. I was on them as a child for about 10 years and that bought me 14 years of relief before I had to go back on them. Since going on shots, I've only needed my antihistimine maybe 4 or 5 times.

    If you have bad hayfever and pollen allergies, a prescription for Flonase (fluticasone propionate in the generic world) will do wonders as it calms down the sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I must admit there have still been times that I wish Claritin was stronger... Luckily that doesn't happen too often. And I do have a container of Flonase (or Nasonex, it's generic, I can't remember which one it is!) and it certainly gets results, but my problem is, I can NEVER remember to take it!

    But I have to ask, alaskanordlicht, I can't decipher who you are from your username... and it's a rare day that I get a comment here from someone I don't recognize! So please, do enlighten us as to who you are!

    -mike

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enlightenment you ask for enlightenment you'll get.

    ~Darren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh, Darren was one of my top three guesses... welcome aboard, and thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!