Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's Like the Death of a Loved One



So Cindy's been preparing the summer schedule for the daycare, and they're going to have a GREAT summer! Each week is a different theme, there are field trips and activities planned for every week - if I was a first-through-fifth grader, I would TOTALLY want to be a Puddle Jumper!

One of her theme weeks is "Fun With Food". Naturally, one of the field trips she wanted to pull off for that week was a trip to, and tour of, Mad Jack's! If you don't know what Mad Jack's is, you obviously haven't read this blog for very long. Mad Jack's is our local ice cream shop, everything is homemade, we've gotten to be friends with the owners, I won 2nd place in last year's "Create A Flavor" contest... They even have my entry, "Peanut Butter S'mores" in the store right now!

Anyway, Cindy called today to arrange the field trip. And was told that they wouldn't be able to do it, because the shop... is... *GASP* ...closing... like, forever... on June 21. We knew that they'd been looking for someone to buy the shop, and had said that if they didn't get a buyer they would close up in a couple years. But this -- this is a shock to the delicate balance of my universe!!

The good news is that I found out NOW, rather than say, AFTER they'd closed up. That gives me the opportunity to buy more ice cream, more fudge, more ice cream sandwiches made with two homemade gourmet cookies the size of a Whopper...

More good news is that they will still make and sell their fudge, at conventions and food shows around the northwest. And, I confirmed today, they are keeping the ice cream machine, so as long as I keep in touch, I just may be able to still get my Peanut Butter S'mores fix.

Now I pass the torch on to all of you reading this in the greater Tacoma area. If you've never gone in to Mad Jack's, NOW IS THE TIME! If you've been there before but it's been a while, NOW IS THE TIME! If you're a regular, GREAT! But go in again and thank them for their time, their ice cream, their fudge, and the warm, friendly atmosphere that they've cultivated over the last few years. I plan to do all of the above. And I'm gonna stock up on their Hot Cocoa too, it'll be mighty scarce by the time winter comes around and I really want some.

Farewell, Mad Jack's. I'll be missing you!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Mike, I am so sorry! I am so sorry that I can't even think of anything clever to write. I know how it is to have a favorite place and then it closes. Talk about the carpet being pulled out from under you. Well at least you do have notice and about 21 days to pig out on Mad Jacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow, THANK YOU, SUZAN!!! Now I am a REAL blogger because I have had someone (unsuccessfully) type FIRST!!!

    Think I'll celebrate with some Ice Cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks big time! I was hoping to try it when/if we come over the mountains. :( Sad. Really sad. I like Maggie Moos, but I really like to support local businesses. I think I need some ice cream now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What!??! Say it isn't so!

    - Anonymous

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!