Saturday, November 14, 2009

Thank You, Costco!!

(By Mike Brinkerhoff - from Keeping Up With The Brinkerhoffs)

For several years, I saw Persimmons at our local Top Foods, but I'd never tried them and they seemed weird. A few years ago, I actually tried some, while down at Cindy's mom's house. Instant Love!! We raided a few local trees and brought the goodness home with us... And I never again saw them at Top or any other local store.

But then this evening, we were walking through Costco, and I noticed someone walk past with a plastic box full of what looked like... and in fact, HAD to be, Persimmons!!!

One Beeline to the produce section later, this was in my cart!



And as soon as we got home, I cut one up and Kaylee and I shared it.. Not QUITE as good as home grown, but still totally delicious!

Now, since Costco regularly earns my wrath by hooking me on things and then discontinuing them, I really, really, REALLY hope they're still there next time...

6 comments:

  1. I think the big question is, what does a persimmon taste like? It looks like a weird cousin of the tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it looked more like some kind of orange. Then I saw that they're shiny, so that kicks my orange theory to the curb.

    I like the tag, "Eats hard. Like an apple." though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, they LOOK like a fancy orange tomato, but they grow on trees, not bushes... And they're very firm - you can indeed, eat them hard, like an apple!

    The flavor is very hard to describe. It's very subtle, slightly sweet... doesn't taste orange at all, which is a huge plus for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that what those things are? I've been seeing them quite a lot lately, and had no idea what they were. Well other than some weird, exotic, looks like a really orange tomato with some unusual looking greenage on top.
    I just might buy one next time. If I don't like it I will Federal Express the rest of it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you believe that I have never tasted a persimmon? But my grandmother used to talk about them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of them either! I hope lots of people like them and they keep them on stock...but this nontomato eating family won't be able to help you out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!