Monday, January 28, 2008

It really is that simple.

Gordon B. Hinckley, 15th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints passed away last night at the age of 97. I've never read a quote from him that I disagreed with - he truly was a speaker of truth, and without a doubt was in every way, a man of God.

But my niece Lisa pointed out a quote from a talk he gave in October of 2004 that I'd not heard before, and it struck me in the profound, head-smack kind of way:

"If every husband and every wife would constantly do whatever might be possible to ensure the comfort and happiness of his or her companion, there would be very little, if any, divorce. Argument would never be heard. Accusations would never be leveled. Angry explosions would not occur. Rather, love and concern would replace abuse and meanness."

Look at the thousands of books, seminars, lectures, retreats, conferences, videos and counselors dedicated to teaching husbands and wives to get along. Then read that quote again. Why do we always make things so complicated?

President Hinckley, we thank you for the words of wisdom. You will be dearly missed.

p.s. Thanks, Lisa!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that I was able to share this quote with you. It has stayed with me since I heard him speak it and I think it is the greatest wisdom I have ever heard in regards to keeping families happy and together.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!