Wednesday, June 11, 2008

OK, Our Weather Isn't The Worst

I've done a lot of griping on the weather lately, and while there is no denying that it supremely sucks, yesterday I saw proof that it could be much, much worse.

This is a picture of Cindy's Aunt Maggie and Uncle Clark. They came to visit in September of 2006, right after I started this blog. In fact, their visit
made up one of the earliest posts here!


Anyway, they come from Wisconsin. They have a daughter, Cindy's cousin Kari. I've never met Kari, but we link to their blog in the spirit of knowing them better... And now I feel like we're going through some severe weather with them.

Yesterday I noticed that their blog had been updated, so I went to look. Their little town of Reedsburg in Wisconsin is largely underwater now... Here's the town grocery store / shopping centre:

Kari has uploaded countless photos of similar damage.. And stories and pictures of the people of the town working together to protect what they've got.

While our local weather people blathering on about how "it could be worse..." just serves to irritate me, seeing it first hand from people we're related to brings it home and makes me appreciate the fact that we're not underwater.

If you want to see all the damage, just click on the link to the right, "Cindy's Cousin Kari".

2 comments:

  1. That is tragic....and it really puts things into perspective. I guess our cool,windy weather is not so bad after all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear Hear Lisa! I know I've been feeling a little ungrateful about the weather lately. Years ago when I was young and naive I was always a little resentful to live in the boring state of Washington where nothing exciting like hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes or huge floods happened. I know now how stupid that was. I now love living in the good ole boring state of Washington.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!