Sunday, July 06, 2008

Good Times, Good Company, Good Explosives!

What an amazing 4th of July weekend this was!

My uncle Richard had a big party at his twin cabins on Mason Lake, and several weeks ago, he asked me to invite my siblings and their kids from the Tri-Cities to come over. Much to my surprise, they accepted! My sister Susan came, and so did her son The Donald (with his wife Lisa and their kids) and her daughter Heidi (with her husband Jeff and their kids)... And we all, along with many cousins, aunts, uncles and friends, had a nonstop awesome time!

Now, first off I have to say that Richard and his wife Dorothy are THE MOST INCREDIBLE PEOPLE ALIVE TODAY! They are generous beyond the definition of the word... They have side by side cabins on the lake, and find joy in opening them up to friends and family. And then on top of that, they put on an unbelievable, professional quality fireworks show!!

I decided early on that I wanted to wrap the weekend up by making a highlights video. The problem was that there was SO much fun from Thursday through Saturday that I had a really hard time compressing it all into a short video. After several rounds of editing, I decided that this first video would only be able to show the fun we had out at the lake - and even that is extremely truncated...

Saturday night Cindy and I hosted the families of Susan, The Donald, Heidi, and also Alicia and Daniel... We had another American Idol Karaoke night, and believe me... You WANT me to put together the montage of highlights from last night.. My sides hurt and my voice was raspy by the end of the night from laughing so hard for so long!

So now, to help offset the doom and gloom of another workweek, I am happy to present the Highlight Reel from the 2008 Brinkerhoff Mason Lake 4th of July Spectacular!!



Ok, so near the end, right before the official fireworks started, there's a kid in a blue shirt holding something that kinda looks like a statue of liberty torch... That was 288 sparklers bound together to make a bomb. It is seen exploding at the end of the dock right after his picture.

After the fireworks on Friday night, his other great creation was taken out to a remote location and detonated. It was lovingly referred to as the "Quaker Oatmeal Bomb" because it was an oatmeal canister filled with the colourful gunpowder from many skyrockets, ground bloom flowers and other pyrotechnics, and sealed up tight to make a megabomb. It was also the inspiration (as was Travis) for this morning's Rodney & Jim strip! At the very end of the video, right after you hear someone say "Oh Crap!" the explosion that goes off is the Quaker.

That was our weekend - what did you all do while we were blowin' stuff up?

7 comments:

  1. It is now midnight and I should have been in bed a few hours ago, but I just had to write a post about this incredible weekend. I haven't written about last night at your house yet but I think that will be part two. Thank you so much Mike for that first call to DONALD (not me) to beg us to come up!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the video. Everyone was having so much fun. There were a couple of good wipe outs on the river. Even the dogs had a great time.

    That was some serious firecrackers. It was almost like peeking into a terrorists garage or something. A huge amount. I have never seen anything like that before. They really did the trick though. Great time and good explosions. Thanks for sharing Mike. That place looks like the perfect family get together place. You are so lucky to have that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job honey! This post summs up the weeknd at the lake really well. I wish it was still Friday but alas I hear the pitter patter of small chiclren in our home... off to work I go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great video. You captured some wonderful memories. Donald will be glad that you got some good footage of the dogs in there.

    Sorry that we missed out on the AI party, but it was good that we got back. The girls were in desperate need of a good nights sleep.

    And your house is amazing! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT time!!! That was the best time we have had since Disneyland. I want the pictures in that montage I didn't take. I really dropped the ball on pictures.


    Thank you again for the wonderful time at your house. It was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello :) I lurked in here from Susan's blog, and I LOVED the video! It was great :)

    -KaTrina

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!