Thursday, July 10, 2008

What's the Spanish Word For Yum?

When I'm at a Mexican restaurant, one of my absolute favorite menu items is a nice tall, cool glass of Horchata!
The thing is, we make really good Mexican food at home... I'll put our Spanish Rice or Tilapia Tacos up against any restaurant's and come away satisfied! That means we eat southwesternly at home more often than we do away. And though we make pretty much anything we'd normally order off a menu, my favorite beverage has remained elusive. There are several good recipes I've found, but making it takes a really long time, involving soaking rice and almonds overnight, lots of grinding and filtering - I've never actually gotten around to making my own.
A couple years ago, Cindy found this Horchata mix at the store, and I was excited!! Unfortunately, it just didn't taste the same... Our local AM/PM actually has Horchata in their massive beverage dispenser, and it'll do in a pinch, but it also tastes very artificial and either overly sweet or very weak.. Inconsistency is its greatest consistency. So that's why I was so excited when Cindy came home from the store the other day with this:


Ready to drink Horchata, and from Rice Dream, a brand that has been making rice milk and other rice based beverages for many years in the natural foods arena. The other night as we were enjoying shrimp kabobs and grilled salmon, I decided I couldn't wait for taco night, and popped the top on the box. What flowed forth into my glass was an amazingly light, perfectly sweet Horchata that I fear I could easily get completely hooked on!!

Like the peanut butter whoppers I mentioned a while ago, I fear that not enough people will buy this, and it'll get pulled off the market, leaving me back at square one. So everyone needs to go buy a box or two! Don't like it?? I have a great suggestion for where to send your leftovers.... :)

10 comments:

  1. I Haven't even heard of Horchata.... and I LOVE mexican food. Where did Cindy buy it at? I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Mike, it sounds kinda gross to me. When you guys are here next I'll have to take you to Fiesta Foods, which is for all intents and purposes a Mexican grocery store. Who knows maybe we will find some of it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Daniel sees this product, he won't be able to rest until he buys several. He has been making due with the powder horchata, but it's definitely not anywhere close to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shouldn't need to go to the Fiesta Market for this, it would either be in the natural foods section or the ethnic aisle of the regular grocery store!

    Alicia, I am so glad to hear that Daniel is a fan of horchata too! You guys will have to come over for Mexican night sometime!! And follow it up with frisbee or swimming down at the park... to work off the several servings of Horchata, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try some of this drinky. Will it help me speak spanish too? Horchata here I come. Areeba.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually Mike now that I think of it, Fiesta Foods has in their deli area, big glass jars filled with different drinks that they sell by the glass. One of them is that cloudy whitesh color and I bet it is fresh horchata. I know I have seen that word in there before, they might have it in several different varities. Like you know canned, powdered, fresh. And then there are the little water ballon packages that I think have the name horchata on them and I have always wondered what they were. I guess you just better come over and check it out for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad, there isn't a spanish word for "yum", but the spanish word for tasty is "sabroso".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow mike...sounds like Andy schooled you. I'll have to remember sabroso.

    Mexican night with frisbee/swimming sounds like tons of fun. Daniel would be all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is muy sabroso!

    Just had a friend over who had never tried it... he did, and his instant review was that it tastes like a liquid churro!

    WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ABOUT THAT!??!!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Dad, just a bit late commenting on this post (just a tiny bit), but "yum" in spanish is the same as in english. But "tasty" is "sabroso", and "delicious" is "delicioso!"

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!