Friday, July 11, 2008

Random Friday Catch-Ups

Man, Summer has been a busy, busy time!! My familial-blog-community has been abuzz waiting for the pictures and video from our 5th of July party, and it's coming - hopefully before the weekend ends, even!

But for now, there are a lot of little things that I've thought would be cool to mention but didn't necessarily warrant their own posts... So here's a rapid course in catching up!

ITEM ONE:
A few weekends ago in the small town of Buckley, they had their annual log show. Several guys from where I work always form a team and compete in the show, and this year they took home several awards. Most notably, Dan Clarke, our equipment manager and his special chainsaw set a new record for cutting through a 24" log. What's so special about his chainsaw? Why the engine, of course! You see, Dan's chainsaw is powered by a 215 cubic inch Buick V8 engine!


To see it in action, you can click here. I never even knew that things like V8 chainsaws existed, but Dan says he first saw one when he was about 5 years old... So I guess I'm just late to the party!

ITEM TWO:
Way back at Memorial Day, Cindy and the Puddle Jumpers did "patriotic tear art," where they made pictures by tearing colored construction paper and pasting it on a neutral background. No scissors allowed, everything had to be torn. Several of the kids turned out very impressive masterpieces, but I thought Cindy's was particularly great! Against a white background, she made an American Flag with a Cross, an Eagle and an Anchor. It hung on the wall with the others for a week or so, and I always found myself stopping to look at it, loving the effect of the decidedly anti-precision design... So when the tear art came down from the wall to make way for the next project, I snuck Cindy's sheet into the scanner and got to work... I had a T-Shirt made up for her to wear on the 4th of July weekend, and it turned out great!


ITEM THREE:
The DJ bug bit me again this week, after a conversation last Saturday (at the infamous 5th of July party) with my niece Heidi and her husband Jeff. They live in Spokane. Jeff has a co-worker that mentioned a favorite radio station he had when he lived in Seattle several years ago... Turns out his favorite station was C-89.5 FM, and that he was one of the many who enjoyed the Friday Night PartyZone! It still happens occasionally, that I'll run into someone (or someone who knows someone) who fondly remembers my little Friday night hobby from the '90s... I told Heidi I'd send them home with some of the "Best of the PartyZone" CDs I made during that time, but forgot to... Then I thought, "Ya know, there's a lot of great dance music out right now, and I haven't done a mix of NEW MUSIC since 2005!" So I got to work Wednesday night and churned out a mix that I am very proud of - I bounced it off one of my buddies here at work, one who isn't particularly disposed to listen to dance music, and he's had it looping in his office for the past two days, and keeps telling me how much he loves it and isn't even getting sick of it. WOW!! PRESS RELEASE: TACOMA DJ STILL HAS IT!! If you'd like to check it out, you can download it here. Just click that link, then right click on the "NuMix" file and use "Save As" to save it to your computer. Then you can listen to it, slap it on your Zune, burn a CD for the car, and immerse yourself in the festive sounds of Summer 2008!


NOTE: This item of catching up need not apply to old people, or people who consider themselves too sophisticated, cool, or any other adjective that would keep them from enjoying this mix. I simply offer it so that if you WANT to check it out, you can. No need to complain about not liking dance music...Susan... ;)

For everyone else, here's a playlist of what's in the mix, so you'll know what you're listening/dancing to:


0:00 - Leann Rimes - Headphones
3:36 - Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music
8:38 - Paula Abdul - Dance Like There's No Tomorrow
14:40 - Madonna & Justin - 4 Minutes
20:55 - Alphabeats - 10,000 Nights
26:14 - Chicane w/ Natasha Bedingfield - Bruised Water
32:58 - Kimberly Locke - Fall
39:04 - September - Cry For You
43:27 - Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
50:38 - Lucas Prata - A Girl Like That
55:17 - Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
59:41 - Jordin Sparks - No Air
1:05:54 - Ferry Corsten w/ Howard Jones - Into the Dark


There ya go! DJ Mike Brady (aka me!) is back in the DJ saddle again!

ITEM FOUR:
Haven't posted a Friday Funny for several weeks... And this is a pic I've had for a while, but it still makes me laugh, so up it goes!

I loved those old Kool-Aid commercials where Mr. Kool-Aid would come crashing through the walls of the skating rink, movie theater, etc... I think I may mix up a pitcher of Kool-Aid after work tonight in honor of this pic!

That's it - Have a GREAT WEEKEND!!

7 comments:

  1. That was a great mix of random for sure. From Kool aid to chain saws to DJing. That was fun to read.

    I really like the flag too. That was nice to make a shirt out of it.
    Really nice art.

    Glad you had fun and have a great weekend with the family. Can't wait to hear what you all did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I might just listen to this so nyuh to you. The picture of that naughty Mr Kool Aid knocking that wall down was great. Although I could never figure out how he could do that without shattering himself and bleeding (leaking kool aid) everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because he is MAGIC! OH YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the laugh! And the "Oh my gosh!" from the chainsaw...boys and their toys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, what is it like in Renton? Jeff has an interview. The hotel chain is based in Kirkland. We are very prematurely looking at houses and what we can afford in the Seattle area. I am looking for educated opinions, like from people who actually live there. If we lived there, we could do an idol party more that once every few years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful random thoughts.

    Her are my thoughts on your thoughts:

    -Cindy's shirt was amazing. She has an eye for art :)

    -I can't wait to go hear your new music mix....sounds fun!

    -That kool-aid pic is hilarious! I think I saw that once before...probably in an email from Donald.

    Enjoy your weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get your Kool-Aid shirt here...with a twist.

    http://www.snorgtees.com/coolaidman-p-227.html?osCsid=7f039dc91995a53e9dc7fe6a45182c58

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!