Thursday, October 09, 2008

Harvest Festivus Maximus

Tonight was the "Harvest Festival" at Kaylee's new school!

I've been DJing the "Harvest Hop" at our Elementary School for several years, and have even been locked in for this year's, despite the fact that we don't have any kids there anymore... But I didn't know if I'd have a chance to get in to the Intermediate School this year, since we were brand new there. Luckily, as with most things in life, it's not what you know, but who you know!

About two weeks ago, Cindy got an email from a friend of ours, the dad to one of Kaylee's friends. Turns out he and his wife are on the PTA at the new school, and they were having a rough time finding a DJ for their Harvest Festival that would fit in their budget. I certainly price my services with the going market rates, but I've always done these family Halloween parties for a deep discount, basically offering my services for whatever they're able to pay.

I AM SO GLAD I DID!!

The kids had a BLAST, and I had a blast playing for them! It was a great group of 5th, 6th and 7th graders... Kids who were confident enough in themselves to really let loose and be silly on the dancefloor! Kaylee, of course, was in heaven, leading the pack whenever possible, and to great effect. At the old school, I always got a great reaction from the kids by playing SpongeBob's "Ripped Pants" song, as well as the "HampsterDance" and other modern kids classics. I was concerned that these kids, being (on average) older, would think of themselves as too mature, too cool to allow themselves to be crazy to those songs. BIG MISCONCEPTION!

When a kid requested the HampsterDance, I put it on, with something safe (aka Jonas Brothers) queued up and ready, just in case it bombed. Nope, best song of the night so far! AWESOME! These kids wanna have fun!

I still wasn't planning on taking the SpongeBob chance, but then one of the girls who had been dancing all night came up and asked if I had anything from SpongeBob... Now, it was vitally important to me that she had been dancing all night. It doesn't matter whether it's a kids Halloween party, a Church Youth Dance or a Wedding Reception, there are people who will come up and make requests just to listen to them by themselves. Giving in to these requests usually empties the floor, but that doesn't stop them from asking for more similar songs. Since this girl had been very busy on the floor all night, I loaded up Mr. Sponge (or is that Mr. Bob?) and let it fly. When the opening line rang out across the room, there were whoops and hollers as the kids swept in from around the room to sing along and imitate the Ripped Pants dance! Awesome Fun!!

A couple songs later, the same girl asked if I had Dora the Explorer. I didn't, but I saw the pattern, and realized - shocked - that these kids are comfortable enough with their ages and maturity levels to listen to the crazy stuff they were huge on in Kindergarten, just for the pure fun of it! So I pulled out a song that hasn't been played since Kaylee was in, probably, first grade.

I stopped the music to make an announcement (last call at the photo booth) and then asked the kids to think back to Kindergarten. I then warned them that I was going to play the SCARIEST song I possibly could... They were giddy with excitement! Then, as I hit Play, I told them that I needed them to sing along nice 'n' loud when I say... "CAN WE FIX IT?"

Every kid in the room (and a few parents, too!) screamed out "YES WE CAN!"



And for the rest of the song, they were chanting and screaming along with Bob, Wendy, Scoop, Muck & Dizzy! Then a kid in a big white bunny costume asked for the Bunny Hop. If you've never been a DJ, I'll give you a little tip: YOU DON'T PASS UP AN OPPORTUNITY LIKE THAT!!

Kaylee jumped up and started the Bunny Hop line, which soon included nearly all of the kids!



After the Bunny Hop, we kept the livestock theme rolling with the Chicken Dance, and then it was time to wrap it up. I always - ALWAYS - end with Lawrence Welk's goodnight song, "Adios, Au Revoir, Auf Weidersein" and everyone always loves dancing around the room for a few final seconds as the cleaning crew starts their task.

Now the van is unloaded, the equipment is safely locked away, and Kaylee's in bed ready to get up with me at 4:45 Friday morning to play racketball! (a new Friday tradition!) So I gotta hit the PUBLISH button and get to sleep myself!

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, good times. I will always hold dear my times enjoying your dj skills. Some of my favorite memories. I wish I could have shrunk my self and gone to that dance too. Fun Fun Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mike...it sounds like you were the life of the party. I love hearing about good kids having good clean fun! That is so cool that you were able to be her DJ! I am sure they will have you back again and again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaylee is such a fun kid! I totally wish I had had a friend like her when I was in middle school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole post has made me smile! And for so many reasons too. I love that you are finding more places to share your great DJing talent, and of course they'll tell two friends and then they'll tell two friends and so on and so on.
    It also makes me happy to see Middle School kids (who are usually one of the hardest to satisfy, they try so hard to be grown up and too cool for school) being just like you said, confident enough to let lose and enjoy themselves. We all know that they secretly still love all those songs. Sometimes all it takes is one of their peers to take the first step and then when they see that, that first person hasn't been immediatly ostracized they know it's safe to be themselves and join in. Thanks for such a fun positive post Mike!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!