Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mo Betta Bag O' Crap!

Today is a GREAT DAY!!

First of all, our beloved Woot! kicked off one of their legendary Woot-Offs yesterday, and it carried over to today. The fun and excitement of the Woot-Off is very addictive to those who have successfully scored great deals, or maybe a Bag o' Crap before... So it's always a fun time.

Not only that, but tonight will be our family's first time participating in the Fircrest Haunted Trails, a cool outdoor haunted forest thing our town does every year. We've attended it several times, but this time we're setting up (what we hope will be) the creepiest graveyard Fircrest has ever seen! I've spent the past few days modifying rubber rats, styrofoam bats and ceramic skulls with glowing eyes, and setting up a lighting rig with fog machine, strobe and black lights. Kaylee and Cindy just went down to the location and found our designated spot, and it's a big clearing, giving us plenty of room to scare! We'll set up at 6, and from 7 to 8:30, I hope to hear hundreds of girly screams from girls and boys of all ages!

But in the midst of all that, Cool Thing #1 reached the near-ultimate peak of Coolness, when this item popped up:



Best of all, it WASN'T sold out yet when I got to it. Simply SEEING it available for sale is the first, and probably biggest, part of the battle for Crap Supremacy. They sold 4500 in nine minutes. That means a whole lotta "SERVER TOO BUSY" errors.

Today was one of my luckier days, though! I was able to not only see the bag available, but when I clicked on the "I WANT ONE" button, that page actually showed up too! The only glitch was that the button to change from a quantity of 1 to 3 wasn't working... Shipping is the same no matter how many you get, so 3 is definitely the way to go. But you don't look the crap horse in the face, so after a couple tries, I frantically hit the Stupidly Large BUY IT Button...



...and nothing happened...

I started getting the dreaded Server Too Busy error, but I kept hitting back, and re-clicking the Stupidly Large Buy It Button. Eventually, it loaded the main Woot! page, but the Bag o' Crap was gone and had been replaced by a high end media center PC. I was cautiously hopeful that my order had actually gone through, but clicking on "My Account" resulted in more timeout errors. The account servers were exceptionally busy processing those 4500 orders...

About 20 minutes later, I tried again, fearful - and pretty much accepting - that I hadn't gotten any crap to call my own. But what to my wooting eyes should appear?



YES!! I'm somewhat bummed that I only got in for 1, but in the last round, I got 3 and received exactly 3 items. Other people ordered 1 and got - LITERALLY - a bucket FULL of mp3 players. So I'll stick with the cautiously optimistic outlook.

If you haven't ever tried and failed to get an order in for a Bag o' Crap, I don't expect you to appreciate what a victory it is. But for those of you who have tried, and failed, or tried, and won, you know that the amount of adrenaline, excitement and sheer joy that comes with this little purchase is WELL WORTH the $8.00. Or $6.00 if you're stuck only getting one...

As always, the unboxing will appear in this space when it finally gets here!

8 comments:

  1. Mike..maybe I am missing something...what is Woot? Is it a contest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOO KKKKK! I just read your old post and now I get it. Let us know as soon as you find out what your bag of crap is! A new car?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, and anyone else who missed my previous Woot victories, Click Here For Enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so jealous. I know Daniel was trying to get a bag of crap, but we seem to have miserable luck with the timeing of it. Is there a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Wootalyzer, which automatically puts you on the BUY page when the BoC comes on. Other than that, it's just luck and determination - like I said, I wasn't even sure if I was going to get anything this time, so it was a double bonus to finally see my receipt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess Wootalyzer is better than wootsnoop. We'll be making the switch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff says, "That's amazing, and I am a little bit green with jealousy."

    Heidi says, "Awesome."

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I have been crap free for 51 years and I have survived this long, so I feel no need to try to score a Bag o' Crap" said the party-pooping older sister. She then realized she had been a bit rash and wished her little brother good luck on his quest for a really craptacular Bag o' Crap.
    The end

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!