Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm Secure Enough To Admit It

My nephew The Donald (or El Donaldo, to our Spanish speaking friends!) recently made the bold, brave move of admitting that he's a Miley Cyrus fan. I related to that post, because I really enjoy a lot of Miley's music too... Maybe not quite to the extent that The Donald does - his Miley Glasses are rosy enough that he even likes her ill-conceived cover of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun," which I thought would be great when I saw it on the track listing, but about fifteen seconds in, was reaching for the skip button.

But his post raised an issue that I am actually quite passionate about, and that is how important it is to recognize quality and talent wherever they are, even when you're the minority in an ocean of people groaning that it's fake, lame, terrible, phony, or worse. His key points are valid whether you like Miley Cyrus' music or not. She wrote or co-wrote nearly all of her last two albums, and has sold out concert halls with a fervor that doesn't happen much now that The Beatles have broken up... Come to think of it, The Beatles, in their heyday, had an awful lot in common with young Ms. Cyrus. Their core audience was positively rabid in their adoration, and their core audience's parents insisted that they were talentless hacks.

Please don't threaten to hang me on the cross of culturally sacred cows... I'm not saying Miley is as good as The Beatles (though I'd rather listen to her, any day!) - I'm just saying that the passion amongst her fan base is something that you don't get very often in this day and age, where everything is so on-demand that nothing really builds any sort of anticipation, and therefore, there's never really much to get excited about.

But I have digressed from my original intent for this post - it's almost like I'm out of practice at actual writing, after two months of posting nonstop tidbits of baby news and pictures! (don't worry, more of those will be coming soon...)

Okay, so against the backdrop that I just set up, I get extremely annoyed by things like this:



Okay... Let's see now... When I first heard of the Jonas Brothers, I figured they were a manufactured-for-TV fake band. Then I heard their remake of the Little Mermaid song, "Poor Unfortunate Souls." It was a pretty respectable re-interpretation of it, and I figured that even if they're fake, someone was making them sound good.

My opinion got bumped up several notches when I heard "S.O.S." It was on heavy rotation on the local college station I listen to, and it was an extremely catchy song. I bought their self titled CD for use at the elementary school's Halloween dance in 2007, and ended up playing half of the album, by request. To my amazement, all the songs I played were good!

Normally I'm a total credit reader. I'll scour over the booklet from a CD, taking note of the writers, producers and musicians... but for some reason, I never looked at the JB notes. It wasn't until their current album, "A Little Bit Longer" came out, that I really looked into them.



The first thing I noticed is that the AllMusic Guide gave it a 4-star rating. This caught my eye, because they tend to be rather conservative with their reviews. So I hit up my good friend, Wikipedia. There, I found that they are indeed, brothers with the last name of Jonas. I also learned that they were hardly manufactured. Nick Jonas started out as a Contemporary Christian solo artist, and on one of his demos, his brothers sang backup with him. Poof, the Jonas Brothers were born.

Okay, I am not a happy little cheerleading fanboy here, but Nick Jonas is three months older than my son Andy. At the age of 16, he has written and performed two albums of excellent material. Actually, there have been four albums, including his original solo album... But I'm just focusing on the ones that have made them household names. Looking at the writing credits, he and his brothers co-wrote every song on the new album, and all but the two covers from the previous album.

But it's not just about the songwriting. A few weeks ago, on Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve with Ryan Seacrest And Some Kind Of Robot Pretending To Be Dick Clark, there were several musical guests. Taylor Swift proved that she should never, ever be allowed to sing live. Let her lip sync, for the sake of all those within earshot. Lionel Richie phoned in a medley of his hits... I was beginning to think that maybe since it was so cold in Times Square, nobody would sound good. When the Jonas Brothers took the stage, I was very concerned that they'd justify some of the negativity aimed at them. But no, they did an outstanding set! Vocals in tune, music played tightly... and it was actually LIVE! (unlike the why-do-they-even-exist pussycat dolls, who lip synced.. badly...)

I'm sorry, but to have all that under your belt within three months of your 16th birthday doesn't happen without a rather large helping of a little thing called TALENT!! You may not like the style - after all, it's cool to hate things that people actually like - but the people who claim they have no talent are really just exposing themselves as the purveyors of haterade that they are.

My favorite song on the new album is "Can't Have You," which starts off with a very moody sounding piano and drum loop. It would sound right at home on one of the GOOD Depeche Mode albums. Of course, once it hits the chorus, they go for the straight up pop hook, then blend the two on the subsequent verse. Oh, and that song was written by Nick Jonas. Alone. No help from his brothers, or any other professional writers.

The brothers are just hitting their stride. I'm fully aware that their next album could be the one where they try too hard, and their empire implodes on top of them, but I sure hope not. It seems like there's a lot of good songs still to come.

My name is Mike Brinkerhoff, and I like the Jonas Brothers.

11 comments:

  1. That's funny, I think the Jonas Bros shouldn't preform live. I think they are strictly a studio produced sound, shoved in your face by Disney.

    I didn't hear Taylor Swift on New Years eve, but I did hear her when she was on SNL and she was live and awesome. I chalk up New Years eve to nerves. She was around her newly ex-boyfriend most the night, and it wasn't a good split.

    I think Miley Cyrus has talent and potential. Let's just hope she doesn't become a popwreck like most other young girls in the biz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought one Jonas brothers song, and at first listen I couldn't stand it, but as I gave it more time, I liked it more.

    But my favorite guilty pleasure is Taylor Swift. I agree that she isn't the best live singer (I didn't see the New Year's Eve performance, but I did see the SNL performance and I wasn't impressed) but she is a very talented songwriter. Her songs have great lyrics and her melodies are catchy catchy! I don't like country music much, but her albums both get a lot of rotation here at the Lott household.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Heidi, but I'm with Marilyn on the Taylor Swift issue... I was going to chalk up the NYE disaster to nerves, or the fact that she was wearing a sleeveless dress in 10 degree weather, but Cindy pointed out that she's heard her sing on the CMA awards, as well as the SNL gig, and that she ALWAYS sounds terrible.

    But, I completely agree that her Studio work is great, and she gets a lot of play in the Brinkerhoff household too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Mike! I really enjoy hearing the Jonas Brothers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, you are hilarious. If you enjoy it, why not I say. I'm excited that you are talking about artists I know a little something about, thanks to my girls. Happy listening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, those girls are good at keeping us parents up with what's new and hot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mike, first Donald and now you. Donald burned and brought me Miley Cyrus's Cd, I still need to listen to it. And I have seen the Jonas Brothers on TV, At Donald's house by the way, while babysitting. I have never really heard them sing, but the song you have on here isn't bad.
    On another music related note, did Kaylee get the Across The Universe CD for Christmas? I have the copy I burned for her still here and I wanted to know if she is still going without. If so let me know and I will mail it out to her. Because after all "Friends don't let friends do without."

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I re-watched it. I have to retract a little of what I said. You can tell that she is a good singer, but she didn't do very well live. I chalk it up to me being very tired. She is so cute and charming though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHEM!!
    http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/miley-cyrus-demographic.gif

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's About Time! ;) Te he, I <3 them too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!