Tuesday, March 10, 2009

She Works Hard For It, Honey!

Water Polo Season is upon us again, and Ellysa is representin' well!

After the initial "Hell Week" of practices at 5:00am as well as after school, I picked her up last Monday with a great big smile on her face - as a second year player, as a sophomore in high school, our Ellysa has made the Varsity Water Polo Team!!

This is a BIG deal, because Curtis' Water Polo teams pretty much rule the league in general, and the Varsity squad quite literally owns the competition. I talked to one of the opposing coaches last year after a JV game, and he said that he likes to come play us because it gives his girls a serious reality check, and they play harder against their next opponents.

That was JV. The Big-V is a whole other level of play!

Last night was the first game of the season, an away game at Rogers High School in Puyallup... When I picked Ellysa up at the pool after the game, I asked her how the game went. Her reply was, and I quote, "We slaughtered them!"

Now, I've learned that the term "slaughtered" can imply various degrees of slaughtitude, so I expanded my questioning to include the actual score.

Try 25 to 3. Yeah, that's a slaughter in any vocabulary I've ever encountered!!

And to top it off, Ellysa scored one of those 25 goals!! She needs to score 8 goals to Letter in Water Polo, and with two more games coming up this weekend, she's well on her way!!

We are so incredibly proud of her!! So proud, in fact, that rather than get mad about this...



or this...



or even this...



...we just shrug it off with a smile, and marvel at the fact that she still gets up (mostly) without incident every morning and lugs her 75 pounds of gear (books, flute, water polo bag, lunch, etc, etc) off to school.

The season will end all too soon, and then we'll get back to being concerned about whether or not her bedroom has a floor!

FYI - In case you forgot what Water Polo looks like, here's one of my favorite pics from last season, where Ellysa refined her skillz.



(thanks to Jan for the inspiration behind the post title!)

7 comments:

  1. Way to go Ellysa! you rock, and bedrooms don't always need to have floors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Ellysa that's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are 3 posts up today with that title. Donna Summers is definitely in the blog house today.

    She is awesome if she can endure this week. Wow. I hope the slaughter continues :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three Cheers for Ellysa!!
    And I tend to agree with Alicia, who really needs to see the floor. As long as there isn't a big hole you could fall into, I believe that actually seeing the floor is completely over rated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a typical teenage floor.

    Water Polo is a TOUGH sport. Congratulations.

    I think your still needing to mention my giveaway on your blog to be qualified, let me check....um, yup that's part of the rules. :)

    Maybe you could put a picture of Danee with it. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice try Heidi... Your little plug is coming - I just wanted to give Ellysa some time at the top of the blog heap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had lunch yet, I might be a little edgy.

    My favorite was Uncle Tom's Cabin of Horrors. That should have won first place. HA!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!