Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Welcome Abigail!

I brought her home this morning. My sweet baby girl Abigail. She is a 3 month old German Shepard/Golden retriever puppy her names means "brings joy".

How I obtained her is as much a story as actually getting her but first I must give you some back ground.

For Ellysa's 10th birthday there was nothing she wanted more then a dog. After a lot of deliberation and some strong convincing Mike and I decided that we would allow her to get a puppy. So off to the Humane Society I went. I found a little German Shepard/Mixed puppy that was totally adorable but full of himself. We named him Butch and brought him home. My husband is not fan of dogs and most of his reasons are valid but with proper training I felt like these could be handled. Well Butch was a handful and a bit thick for my training abilities. Ellysa lost interest as most kids will and I became the primary caregiver. I loved Butch , I walked him everyday and trained him to do fun things like sit and play catch, but his manners were horrible and he was over bearing for the kids. I finally decided that I needed help from the family in his training and care. NO ONE stepped up and it was voted that we would find him a new home. I have never been more sad and regretful of a decision. So for the past 5 years I have hinted that I would like another dog, my hints fell on deaf ears.

Well a few weeks ago these two baby kittens showed up. They looked to be litter mates and seemed pretty scrappy. The daycare kids of course fell in love and asked to feed them, this led to Kaylee feeding them and housing them in our garage. My concern is that we already have three cats and these two kittens to my knowledge hadn't been vaccinated or cared for. So Friday I packed up the one I could catch and took him to the Humane society. They gave him shots and took him in. While I was there I decided to meander thru the dog section. That is where I found Abby. She was in a pen with two other dogs, A really mean Chihuahua, and a Terrier that was pretty silly. Abigail was just laying there so calm and I am thinking annoyed by all the noise. I called Mike and he agreed I could put a deposit down. We had to wait until Tuesday to see if she would be claimed before officially adopting her. This would give us time to think it through and for Mike to meet her before I brought her home. So Yay....

Saturday morning Mike and I are canning pears and listening to music when the doorbell rings........ it's the crazy lady from next door..... she wants to know if I have seen her grey kitten??? It has been missing since Friday???? OH-CRAP!!!!!!!!

I panic, no way did I haul off the neighbors cat!! OH -JEEZ..... I tell her "no...... but I will let her know if I should"..... yikes, what to do. She is NUTS so I am a bit afraid of this women. She has gone after our tree trimmer guys and yells across the fence. I was freaking out! So I did what any other coward would do, I start trying to justify my decision to lie. "they didn't take care of the cats", "we fed them all the time" oh " I did ask her husband if he knew who the cats belonged to a week ago, and he said no - doesn't matter that he is deaf"... ahh man I can't lie. It was wrong anyway I slice it.... shoot. Off to the neighbors I go. Now, not only do I have to admit I turned her cat into the FEDS but also that I told a big fat lie! I felt like five year old. o-well it has to be done. Fortunately she was so happy to know that her kitten was safe that she didn't freak out on me. I feel a bit ashamed but am getting over it and through our conversation we were able to clear the air about her craziness ( I guess she realized she does some weird stuff). All ended well, the kitty is back ( was eating out of our cats bowl this morning) and I found Abigail who is napping on her soft bed in the garage.

I will put up pictures when Mike gets home. I still can't seem to remember how to post pictures on my own yet.

4 comments:

  1. Great story Cindy! I am impressed that you went back and admitted it to her. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to have shepherd lab mixes when we were kids, they can be a great mix. I think you did the right thing by turning in the cat. It isn't fair to the neighbors or the cat to let it run wild without shots. Enjoy Abigail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really impressed you were willing to be so honest. I am 95% sure I wouldn't have told her. Mostly because I wouldn't want her to go get the kitten and let it be a nuisance all over again. You really did do the right thing though, of course. I have never really liked dogs either. I think that most of my siblings feel somewhat that way. I have been bit at least three times I can think of. They scare me. But I promise to try to like your new little Abby. I do know that some dogs are so sweet natured that you just can't help but love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Rusty will still be my favorite. He is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!