Monday, November 17, 2008

Faith Preceeds The Miracle

Happy Monday!! And for these Brinkerhoffs, it is a VERY Happy Monday!

There was a very unhappy post put up last Monday... Please disregard that one...

As I was writing that post, my heart was broken. In a very short time - less than two weeks - I had fallen completely in love with our soon-to-be-born baby. Last Monday Cindy and Tyler (who was out of school for the day) went to the local baby consignment store and bought out the preemie section. As I was writing about how we had decided not to adopt, I could see the smallest little onesie I'd ever seen, and in my mind I pictured a teeny tiny baby filling it, kicking her teeny tiny legs. I cried.

Tuesday, I did my best to force myself to move on, but there was a gaping hole in my heart. I knew that the logic, the world-view said we were making the "smart" choice. But my heart told me without a doubt that we were making a horrible choice. Praying for wisdom only confirmed this.

On Wednesday, Cindy told me that she was feeling the same way, so we called our attorney back and told him that since we hadn't cashed our refund checks yet, he could just keep our money and proceed with the adoption. Our first order of business was to file a motion to find out what SPECIFIC neurological disorder the father has, so we'd know what we're going to be dealing with.

Friday after work we went to the hospital to meet with Katie (our baby's birth mother) and see how she's doing. She's still eating, and is very excited that we're adopting her baby! While we were there, we got to hear the heartbeat, and Cindy got to feel a kick. (I would love to feel our baby kick, but it was just too weird to be putting my hands all over some other woman's abdomen... so I just listened...) Afterward, Katie told her mom that she loves us, and that our visit meant the world to her. We will be visiting regularly for the next couple weeks.

This past weekend, we talked more in depth amongst ourselves, and decided that it really didn't matter what the father's conditions are, we are going to adopt this little girl either way. We were now committed, acknowledging that all the signs are pointing to this being a big part of God's plans for our life. With Him as a partner, there was no question that we would love our new baby and sail through any storms that may come with her.

Last night Katie's mom called us with some news that literally blew my mind... The father we were so concerned about, has had a vasectomy, and is definitely NOT the father of our baby! Katie had been keeping the "other guy" a secret, but told her mother that she loved us so much after our visit, that she wanted to tell the truth. The actual father of our baby doesn't seem to have any neurological disorders, just lots of bad habits.

After so much anguish and worrying about problems that may or may not happen, it wasn't until we truly committed ourselves, and put our trust in God, that it was revealed to us that our greatest hope for the baby was a reality.

It's been about 12 hours now since we found out, and I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around all that's gone on in the last three weeks. All I know for sure, is that on December 5th, our new daughter will enter this world, probably spend a little time in the NICU, and then come home with a family that is 100% ready to shower her with all the love a baby can receive.

We also have a real-life testimony of the Biblical principle that before a miracle can happen, you must have faith.

9 comments:

  1. Oh this makes me so happy.

    She will be blessed to join your loving and lively family. And I know that you will feel the blessings of welcoming her into your home and family.

    So...did you ever decide on the name??

    Let us know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so perfect! I'm glad prayers have been answered in the best possible way for all! Yay Brinkerhoffs! I still say AVA is the name to choose. I looked up the meaning behind AVA, and one meaning that I found is "desired". I can say for a fact, this baby is desired...and now you have the perfect reason to choose that name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings tears you guys. So very happy. What an amazing story of following the promptings too. You are such great examples to me. She felt the spirit too. She was moved to honesty. I just love that so much. Congrats to you both and your kids. This will be such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a roller coaster you guys have been on the past few weeks. I'm so happy everything's going to work out. That's such great news! I'm sure you're all ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way you guys did, but how do you really say something like like to someone without possibly making them feel worse? I felt like that baby belonged to you. I also thought that if she does have any problems, she wouldn't turn out like her father. I'll bet if he grew up in a loving stable home and had the proper medical treatment, it wouldn't be so bad for him. Well all I can say is yay and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! May I request "You are Good" at some point in the future for your song of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so thrilled. I was sad that you two had decided not to go through with the adoption, but I just knew that you would think it through and realize that she is your baby after all. I have never had a hard time with giving up my baby to adoption when i was sixteen. I felt so strongly that I was simply the bridge that would bring her to her "real" family. And I know that if she was a baby that you two had created that you would still want her no matter what. Thats how you know that she is yours I think. You have realized that you love her unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She Is ~ The Fray, for the Sweet little Baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay!!! so 'Fennifer' it is!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!