Thursday, January 08, 2009

A Good Read

Back in April, I did a fun, '80s Name That Tune contest, which was won by an old online friend of mine from the '90s, who I'd just recently re-connected with.  This friend's name is Greg Bulmash, and you've probably seen his name on an email that makes the rounds every few years - a job application to McDonald's, or sometimes Walmart, where the applicant is very flippant, sarcastic, blunt, direct and generally hilarious.  The email forwards usually claim that the kid got the job because his wit and humour impressed the manager.

Well, the email is fake, and it began as a humour column that Greg published back in the '90s.  I was on his mailing list back then, so I can smugly say I was there when the magic started.  In case you'd like to see this whole phenomenon explained more clearly, just click here.

Anyway, Greg - like me - is a new father, and is finding himself up at odd hours with his new baby.  This extra time has given him the ambition to publish a novel he's been working on.  He's been putting up two chapters per week, with the new sections coming in on Mondays and Thursdays.  As of today, Chapter 11 is as far as it goes, and I have to say I'm hooked.  I sent the link to The Donald (or El Donaldo, as he's currently known) and he got hooked too.

So I'm going to see if I can drum up a little interest for it here, because it really is a good story so far!

What is it about?

Greg has a hard time answering that, because he feels that any synopsis he gives out is also a spoiler for the story...  So I'll just say that it's about Vampires.  But unlike the recent vampire craze, and actually most vampire stories I can think of, this one isn't directly aimed at, nor written by, a woman.  This is a guy's vampire story, but just as many guys enjoy Twilight, I don't see any reason that women wouldn't enjoy this book.

Just be aware going in, there is occasional strong language, and an "adult situation."  Then again, that last Twilight book had a warning not to let kids read it, so if you treat this with the same filter, you should be fine.

The book is called "Hell on Five Dollars A Day" and it starts here.  Happy reading!  If you like it, and get hooked, leave Greg a comment to encourage him to keep it coming!

2 comments:

  1. It seems like everywhere I turn people are writing novels lately. I think that is soooo cool. I love that even in this digital age we are all thinking books!

    YOU totally scored in your box of CRAP! Didn't you say they are all about $1?! I can't wait to hear if the camera actually works!

    5 pounds! WoooHoo! I remember that day too!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!