Wednesday, April 29, 2009

100 Days

I really try not to go political on here... I think this may be my 2nd ever political post, out of more than 500 since September 2006.

But listening to the lunacy and pageantry surrounding the 100th day of Obamunism, while my own eyes see quite a different reality, I can't stay quiet.

What has the first 100 days brought us?

Well, "we the people" now own majority stakes in several large banks.

"We the people" fired the president of General Motors after lending them amounts of money much smaller than the aforementioned banks, whose leaders are still rewarding themselves for how clever they are.

"We the people" topped that feat by the latest news that we will soon own 50% or more of General Motors.

"We the people" can expect to see our "Dear Leader" tomorrow, announce that Chrysler is filing Chapter 11, and will end up being at least 50% owned by the good old U.S. Government. If the U.S. President is the one making the announcement, it seems that the transfer of ownership has already taken place.

What kind of sense does this make? In all 40 of my years, it's been common knowledge that if you want something done inefficiently, let the government do it. So you take an already outdated and lethargic U.S. Auto Industry, and the cure is to transfer ownership to the government? I tried for ten minutes to come up with a witty/funny/biting remark to end this paragraph, but I'm literally speechless.

In the midst of all that, we're told that the U.S. Economy is far too fragile to actually do anything about the Mexican Flu that's sweeping the world. Yes, I called it by its place of origin. Nobody gets offended by the Spanish Influenza of nearly 100 years ago, or the various Asian flu strains that have gone around for years. Dear Leader may want to call it m1h1eiei90210, but I'll settle for the Mexican Flu. Why break from flu-naming tradition?

Oh, but that economy isn't so fragile that we can't afford to invest in some quality publicity shots... Like an un-announced close proximity fly-by of the Statue of Liberty and the rest of NYC by Air Force One and a pair of fighter jets... Gosh, to the unwashed masses on the ground, you couldn't see that it was AF1, just a good old American Made 747. Flying close to buildings. Being flanked by fighter jets.

Panic Ensued.

But that's okay, it was for a good cause! Surely Dear Leader would cherish a framed photograph of his main ride kissing Lady Liberty!!

Besides, it was a bargain - the cost came in under $400,000!! I'm assuming we'll all get free copies of the picture, since it was "We The People" paying the bill.

And finally, my righteous rage is bubbling over about "The First U.S. Death Due To The Mexican Flu." Never mind that the victim was a Mexican Citizen, who was brought to the U.S. by parents hoping for quality medical treatment.

I have the deepest sympathy for the parents. I can't even imagine the agony they'd been going through that led to the tragic ending.

But seriously, "The Media"... It's not the first U.S. death. The first U.S. death will be the first U.S. resident / Citizen who succumbs to this horribly contagious flu.

If you're still with me, you should definitely let off some steam by getting prepared for the pandemic that's only one-notch-away from reality on the WHO's ranking system.

Our blog-buddy Jan put together a flu-pandemic survival kit last summer, and being way better than we are at staying on top of things, her blog right now is a treasure-trove of good information and tips for weathering the storm.

Click Here for a good primer, or just go straight to her front page where you'll undoubtedly find more good stuff.

Wow, only 265 days left in this year. Wonder what "We the People" will own by then...

6 comments:

  1. Amen Brother Mike! Maybe I have become too desensitized by the media, but I'm not really concerned about this Mexican flu yet. The fact that it responds to Tamiflu, and at least here in the U.S. it is near the end of the usual flu season, I think it will fizzle out (despite the media's best attempts to scare everyone) I also think the number of cases and deaths are extremely small compared to the numbers for a regular flu season. Let's hope I'm right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HOPE you're right, Janice... But the fact that it DOES respond to tamaflu, and that it's the end of flu season, worries me even more. It's a perfect recipe for it to mutate and come back in a year or two as the most contagious superbug ever.

    But I REALLY hope it doesn't!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still cannot BELIEVE that he would have air force one flying in over NYC.....what was he thinking?!?! He had to have known the kind of reaction that would cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go guy.

    It is the perfect recipe for the super bugs and the super thugs.

    I have never seen anything like this in 100 days.

    Thanks for the link too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't know what to think...I have to say I'm with Janice in that I feel the news has sacred us all before. Remember Y2K---that never happened. But then I think, OK if it is really going to get ugly this could be bad. Well, even the false scares are good, in that they get the people to get prepared for things. I am rambeling and getting a bit nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it funny how for the last 20 years or so it's practically considered a Swear, to call ANYTHING Mexican. French, yes. German, go right ahead. Austrailian, G day Mate! But utter the word Mexican and you're practically accused of Hate Speech.
    And I also can't help but notice the same phenomenon with Obama's Middle name Huissain (I know that's spelled incorrectly but I don't care enough to look it up)
    There has never been a problem with saying any other President's WHOLE name, but do it now and you are considered a HATE monger.

    It's 2009 and Big BROTHER is alive and well.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!