Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Neo-Natal Follow up

Today was Danee's 18th month follow up at the Mary Bridge Preemie Clinic. I have been anxiously awaiting this appointment for some time but due to Danee's illnesses we have had to reschedule several times. This explains why she is only having her 18 month check up even though she is almost 2!

Even still, she did not meet the developmental milestones of a 18 month old toddler. Danee is way...way...way behind. I am not really surprised as I have been suspect for a while. I am however a bit taken aback by some of the ideas that were talked about today.

Danee isn't verbal yet and I knew that by 15-18 months most kids should have a vocabulary of around 25-50 words. She maybe has 5 if we prompt her. I expected that the Speech Therapist would want to do some interventions immediately, and they do.

The Occupational Therapist noticed some things that weren't even on my radar, like weak arms and trunk. Danee is still a bit wobbly when throwing or kicking a ball. She also would go up one side of the stairs but rather then go up and over and down the other side, she just turned and went back down the same way she went up.
So Danee will also get O.T.

For me the biggest surprise is that they are concerned with her "Sensory Integration". Danee is really, really busy. I always knew she was by far the craziest kid I have ever had, but I guess I just chalked it up to her personality. It Turns out that she is so busy because she is unable to organize the information she receives through her senses. She is a "Sensory Seeker", this explains the constant movement, dumping of toy bins, climbing...etc. It also explains just why she isn't talking yet. She can't stop moving long enough to hear or see what we are trying to teach her. It's good to know I am not crazy and it is not my old age making me so tired!

The final concern is Danee's weight. She had gained a pound last month and by today has lost weight. At her last "well baby" appointment she was (negative) -3rd percentile for weight today she is -5th. So we will continue to let her have bottles and eat what ever she wants but now she will be monitered by the G.I people. I am not sure what that means but will keep you posted.

All of this new information certainly gives Mike and I a lot to mull over and of course many new appointments to make and therapist to meet. I am looking forward to getting Danee the help she needs and moving her in the right direction. I get to learn a new skill and teach Danee sign language until she begins to talk and hopefully she will be less frustrated and someday soon calmer as she begins to file and organize her information.

She is happy and full of life and we couldn't love this little girl anymore then we do. She may be small and full of it but at the end of the day she is perfect to me!

2 comments:

  1. It can be scary to hear there might be something wrong with your child, but it sounds like she is getting the help she needs to catch up and that is awesome! She is definitely loved, and that is the most important thing.

    Have they looked into Celiac disease at all? I wouldn't even mention it, but I had a friend who's little girl wasn't gaining weight and got sick a lot. After trying lots of things, they put her on a gluten-free diet and all of a sudden she started gaining and feeling better. I'm not trying to diagnose anything, but it might be worth looking into as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an earful. That's an awful lot to deal with, but she lucked out to get a mom and dad who will be better able to help her than anyone else. You'll be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!