Thursday, August 28, 2008

Resume Torture

Long time readers will recall that back in May, I told the tale of the torturous radio situation at work.

Other than the ever-present problem of bad commercials, the musical atmosphere in the office had improved dramatically, courtesy of 96.5, Jack-FM.

A few days ago though, I started hearing rumblings that “the girls” in the office, who outnumber me, started talking about wanting to go back to “Star 101.5”. I really hoped they’d just kinda forget about it.

This morning as I entered the office, I caught the tail end of “This Love” by Maroon 5. Bad sign. Jack never really showed a whole lotta love for M5. Star, on the other hand, just can’t play enough of them. I put my lunch in the fridge, and sat down at my desk. Natasha Bedingfield was playing. Crap. I didn’t realize just how much I enjoyed NOT hearing her voice for the past four months. Then there was about 10 minutes of inane morning show jibba jabba. Oh boy oh boy, it’s “Therapy Thursday” where rejects from the trailer parks of the area call in to the radio station with their problems and let the sheeple listening tell them what to do.

Today’s topic? The mother of a 13 year old girl. The 13 year old girl wants to pierce her belly button. Since Mom appears to have never really established any of those uncomfortable and unwanted BOUNDARIES, or taught her daughter that she needs to respect and obey her mother, the daughter felt that she had the right to make a deal with her mom. The deal was that if girl gets good grades in the coming school year, mom will take her to the piercing pagoda and sign a waiver.

Mom made it clear that SHE didn’t like this idea… But did she put her foot down and remind girl that 13 year olds don’t call all the shots? No. She called Kent & Allen so they could ask the listeners of their unoriginal, incredibly repetitive programming for advice.

The first call that came in while I was in the torture chamber at my desk was from a 61 year old woman who was all for it. She proudly listed off all of her piercings and tattoos. From the sound of her speech, she MIGHT even have one or two teeth left in her mouth. Excellent role model for the kids.

Next up was a woman who I suspect is trapped in a captive listening situation like me, who tried to stress that the mom needs to be practicing a little thing called PARENTING, and that if the girl feels she “deserves” this at 13, what’s she going to decide her next indisputable right is? Oh, that call doesn’t generate enough drama, so they quickly cut her off.

Well of course they cut her off! They haven’t played any NICKLEBACK for at least 20 minutes! Gotta resolve that ASAP!!

OK… So even leaving the wretched “Therapy Thursday” out of it, Star 101.5 is the “Young and the Restless” of the radio world. It’s been four months since I last listened to this station in any way. I’ve been at work for 90 minutes. There has been ONE song played since I got here that wasn’t getting played back in April. Also, I’ve heard Maroon 5 twice already. Nickleback only once, but I bet if I’d gotten here a little earlier, it would have been twice too. Just as Victor, Nikki and Jack are endlessly scheming on CBS in the mid-morning, Star 101.5 endlessly plays the same 35 songs from the early 21st century over and over ad nauseum. It’s even more painful than it was before, having tasted the freedom of a larger playlist with NO DJs AT ALL.

My Head Hurts. And I know there’s a time bomb ticking before the one song I loathe above all others, gwen stefani’s “sweet escape” comes on. Hmmmm…. Maybe time for a fire alarm test??

UPDATE: 2 Hours and 15 minutes after arriving, Maroon 5 song number three is playing...

ANOTHER UPDATE: High Noon now, and M5 song number four is droning on... The pavement outside my window is looking warm and comforting...

6 comments:

  1. That SUCKS!!! Girls can be so dumb. :P Can you put in headphones and stream music online? I think that is what Jeff does. He gets some radio station over the internet. Of course, he is practically at his desk for most of the day, so he can do that. Oh, I was at a store the other night and they were getting ready to stock. In the isle I saw this HUGE, like 4'X4' box of zyrtec, it looked almost like the large version of what you would have in your cupboard...It made me laugh and think of you having that in your garage or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dad, have they played "Love Song" yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. "Love Song" has played once so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I personally like "Sweet Escape" and "Lovesong" I do realize I hardly ever hear them. I am feeling tons of sympathy for you here though Little Bro. Also Kudos to your new word Sheeple. It took a second and then I realized what it was. Don't you just love new words. And I know, I know, hate repetitive Hot Top 25 Radio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get my email that was full of excitement and gratitude about the songs that you gave me? I wasn't sure. If not, THAAAAANXXXX!! They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a harsh work environment. I'm feeling really sorry for you right about now as the only sounds I hear are computer noises and my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!