Thursday, December 04, 2008

Danee Update For Day Four

Before Danee was born, the head nurse in the NICU warned us that there is often a "honeymoon period" with preemies, where they exceed all your expectations, and then take a few steps back before catching up to where they were, and moving on.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Danee's taken any steps back, but today wasn't as euphoric as yesterday was.

Oh, there were good points! She is doing well enough that she moved out of her private suite, and into the general NICU baby population. She's into her second day of breathing "room air" and still having her blood oxygen level between 90% and 100%!

I mentioned in yesterday's update that she was developing a touch of jaundice. Today that touch became a little more, so they stuck her under the special blue light (or blue light special?) to help break down the bilirubin toxins so they can pass out and leave her alone. It also makes for some kinda freaky pictures...



But my favorite aspect of visiting her tonight was that I got to change my first DaneeDiaper!



It was a very strange sensation. This little girl is about as close to weightless as I could ever imagine. Lifting up her lower half to slip a diaper under her was just crazy!



Right before we'd gotten there, she choked on a spit bubble and was having a slightly hard time breathing. The nurses were really great, and gently suctioned her out while Cindy and I stood back and watched, somewhat in shock. By the time we left, Danee was rolled over, laying on her tummy, still occasionally looking like she was having a hard time breathing, but mostly looking peaceful.

It's not possible to overstate how much we love this little girl already, and we pray over her every night for quick growing and healing. She's still making great progress, and is going to get her first few droplets of formula tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Still such great progress, even my full term, healthy babies had jaundice...so she is doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so precious! I can't wait to hear how she likes formula!

    Thanks for the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an amazing journey so far. Much to be said about Danee. The wonderbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like only yesturday that I was in your exact shoes...Branson had jaundice and he was so stinkin tiny! He will be 13 months tomorrow and tonight I was looking at him and it has all gone so fast! Could this really be my tiny baby who was under 5 pounds?! The plus side to having a small premie...you get to enjoy them smaller longer...and they usually do things a touch later so you get to enjoy them as babies for longer!

    Do you have concerns with RSV over there? They gave Branson a very expensive shot once a month to help him should he contract RSV. They pretty much told us to keep him home through the winter months (I wasn't complaining...let me see, stay home and cuddle my baby and have noone call me to do things!) Anyway...I am rambling. So glad things are going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for next December, when you will be blogging about the terrors of a one year old and a Christmas tree. Blessings to you sweet little Danee.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is Caring! Plus, it really makes our day!